Kicking It in Kunming


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Kunming
April 17th 2006
Published: April 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

ContemplationContemplationContemplation

A really interesting temple. Also noteworthy were the many turtles - yeah!
So we're in China!

Hopping off the minibus in Lao Cai we decided that it was time to move on. So after a deal or two on the black market we hopped across and were in China. Immediately we could feel the difference, and not only in the street signs which all looked kinda pretty but meant relatively nothing. Straightaway people were friendlier and willing help us despite our bumbling Mandarin.

We grabbed an overnight sleeper bus that night (think the Harry Potter bus gone horribly wrong) and ended up in Kunming, the capital of the Yunnan provine yesterday morning. We checked into a hostel which is super clean and has wicked showers and have spent the last two days exploring the city.

It's HUGE! Everything is HUGE, the roads, the shops, the signs... it's just crazy. We've explored giant shopping malls which was heaps of fun and today wandered through Green Lake Park (very pretty; men playing mah jong and musical instruments) in the centre of the city before visiting a Buddhist Temple. The temple was probably one of the best we have seen so far - with giant dragon sculptures climbing up the poles in the main hall. We were lucky enough to arrive at prayer time so saw all the monks in their robes chanting, and waving incense about. There were also ponds filled with carp, frogs and turtles. It was really cool.

The friendliness has continued and the food has been great - we couldn't ask for more 😊

Gotta run now as we have to get back to the hostel to pick up our gear - we are off on the overnight bus to Dali in a couple of hours!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb