#127 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Part 4, Yining, Xinjiang)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Yinning
December 12th 2010
Published: December 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I have been able to recover one of my lost TravelBlogs, an entry I had prepared for publication many months ago. So as not to confuse this journey to the West of China two summers ago (2009) with last summers travels (2010), this 2009 journey was an official visit by the administration of Taizhou Teachers College to our Sister College in Yining, Xinjiang, in the far North-West corners of China. ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 124, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

*************************NOW FOLLOW ME AS THE PHOTO JOURNEY BEGINS: The Photo Journey of Yining, Xinjiang*************************NOW FOLLOW ME AS THE PHOTO JOURNEY BEGINS: The Photo Journey of Yining, Xinjiang
*************************NOW FOLLOW ME AS THE PHOTO JOURNEY BEGINS: The Photo Journey of Yining, Xinjiang

Now let me share more detailed photos from my trip to Yining and Yining County. They appear in travel-sequence. Please enlarge them for their "sometimes" gory details. SORRY !!
Photo 2:     BELOW, THE LANDS OF THE "SILK ROAD"Photo 2:     BELOW, THE LANDS OF THE "SILK ROAD"
Photo 2: BELOW, THE LANDS OF THE "SILK ROAD"

From the comfort and safety of my airplane seat, I could only imagine the difficulties and dangers facing the ancient Silk Road travellers below.
Photo 3:  OUR HOME, THE FRIENDSHIP HOTEL IN YININGPhoto 3:  OUR HOME, THE FRIENDSHIP HOTEL IN YINING
Photo 3: OUR HOME, THE FRIENDSHIP HOTEL IN YINING

Comfortable accomadations were waiting for us in Yining, Xinjiang, at the Friendship Hotel.
Photo 4:  WELCOME BANQUET IN YININGPhoto 4:  WELCOME BANQUET IN YINING
Photo 4: WELCOME BANQUET IN YINING

The foods of Xinjiang are delicious, and the hosts were so kind and friendly. I knew, we were among friends.
Photo 6:  WALKING THE CAMPUS OF YINING TEACHERS COLLEGE, OUR SISTER COLLEGE Photo 6:  WALKING THE CAMPUS OF YINING TEACHERS COLLEGE, OUR SISTER COLLEGE
Photo 6: WALKING THE CAMPUS OF YINING TEACHERS COLLEGE, OUR SISTER COLLEGE

The campus of our sister college in Yining, Xinjiang is more spartan, and reflects the difference in prosperity between the Province of Jiangsu in the East and the Region of Xinjiang in the West of China.
Photo 7:  AT THE GATE OF YINING TEACHERS COLLEGEPhoto 7:  AT THE GATE OF YINING TEACHERS COLLEGE
Photo 7: AT THE GATE OF YINING TEACHERS COLLEGE

OUR TOUR TO SYRAM LAKE JOURNEY BEGINS AT THE GATES OF YINING TEACHERS COLLEGE WITH ANOTHER GROUP PHOTO.
Photo 8:  VIEW FROM THE MINIBUS WINDOW, AS WE CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN ROAD TOWARD THE LAKE.Photo 8:  VIEW FROM THE MINIBUS WINDOW, AS WE CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN ROAD TOWARD THE LAKE.
Photo 8: VIEW FROM THE MINIBUS WINDOW, AS WE CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN ROAD TOWARD THE LAKE.

In our mini-van, we head into the mountains surrounding Yining County.
Photo 9: OUTDOOR UIGHUR LUNCH BEFORE OUR JOURNEY INTO THE MOUNTAINS TOWARD THE SYRAM HU LAKE.Photo 9: OUTDOOR UIGHUR LUNCH BEFORE OUR JOURNEY INTO THE MOUNTAINS TOWARD THE SYRAM HU LAKE.
Photo 9: OUTDOOR UIGHUR LUNCH BEFORE OUR JOURNEY INTO THE MOUNTAINS TOWARD THE SYRAM HU LAKE.

A lunch stop near the Yining mountains offers some unusual delicacies. I always have to ask, which part of the animal is being served.
Photo 10:  THE HOME-MADE FOOD IS SERVED BY A UIGHUR WOMAN.Photo 10:  THE HOME-MADE FOOD IS SERVED BY A UIGHUR WOMAN.
Photo 10: THE HOME-MADE FOOD IS SERVED BY A UIGHUR WOMAN.

My friends have no fear at what they are about to consume. On the other hand, I am always on guard for the exotic.
Photo 11: THE ROAD TOWARD SAYRAM LAKE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND VERY DUSTY.Photo 11: THE ROAD TOWARD SAYRAM LAKE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND VERY DUSTY.
Photo 11: THE ROAD TOWARD SAYRAM LAKE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND VERY DUSTY.

We are back on the road into the mountains near Yining, Xinjiang after our "satisfying" lunch.
Photo 12:  SUPER-HIGHWAY UNDER CONSTRUCTIONPhoto 12:  SUPER-HIGHWAY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Photo 12: SUPER-HIGHWAY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Along the route, we encounter this new super-highway and super-bridge construction.
Photo 13:  CONSTRUCTION WORKERS LIVE ON SITE TO THE RIGHT OF THE HUGE BRIDGE PILLAR.Photo 13:  CONSTRUCTION WORKERS LIVE ON SITE TO THE RIGHT OF THE HUGE BRIDGE PILLAR.
Photo 13: CONSTRUCTION WORKERS LIVE ON SITE TO THE RIGHT OF THE HUGE BRIDGE PILLAR.

Upon completion, tranportation and travel will connect this remote region with speed and comfort and safety.
Photo 14:  THE BRIDGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION WILL SPAN ACROSS THE VALLEY.Photo 14:  THE BRIDGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION WILL SPAN ACROSS THE VALLEY.
Photo 14: THE BRIDGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION WILL SPAN ACROSS THE VALLEY.

It is an amazing sight, and perhaps sometime in the future, I will be able to witness the completed bridge.
Photo 15: THE CONSTRUCTION IS A MASSIVE UNDERTAKING.Photo 15: THE CONSTRUCTION IS A MASSIVE UNDERTAKING.
Photo 15: THE CONSTRUCTION IS A MASSIVE UNDERTAKING.

Infrastructure all around China is progressing at an amazing pace and speed.
Photo 16: THE CONSTRUCTION IS NOT WITHOUT ITS DANGER.Photo 16: THE CONSTRUCTION IS NOT WITHOUT ITS DANGER.
Photo 16: THE CONSTRUCTION IS NOT WITHOUT ITS DANGER.

A close up of one of the supports brings into focus the size of this structure. You may notice the workers on the top.
Photo 17: THE LAKE IS SOME DISTANCE FROM YINING.  ALONG THE WAY WE PASS A NUMBER OF "YURTS", THE HOMES OF THE LOCAL NOMADS.Photo 17: THE LAKE IS SOME DISTANCE FROM YINING.  ALONG THE WAY WE PASS A NUMBER OF "YURTS", THE HOMES OF THE LOCAL NOMADS.
Photo 17: THE LAKE IS SOME DISTANCE FROM YINING. ALONG THE WAY WE PASS A NUMBER OF "YURTS", THE HOMES OF THE LOCAL NOMADS.

After viewing the Bridge Construction Site, we continue our way in our van toward the Sayram Hu Lake, nestled among the mountains outside of Yining.
THE LAKE, PHOTO 1: THE SHORES OF SAYRAM HU LAKETHE LAKE, PHOTO 1: THE SHORES OF SAYRAM HU LAKE
THE LAKE, PHOTO 1: THE SHORES OF SAYRAM HU LAKE

We arrive at the lake. We are some of the few visitors to the shores of Sayram Hu Lake.
THE LAKE, PHOTO 2: LANDMARK FOR SAYRAM HU LAKETHE LAKE, PHOTO 2: LANDMARK FOR SAYRAM HU LAKE
THE LAKE, PHOTO 2: LANDMARK FOR SAYRAM HU LAKE

My happy companions, with Mr. Xu, the President of Taizhou Teachers College, to my right.
THE LAKE, PHOTO 4: LOCAL HERDERS INVITE US HORSE-BACK RIDING, FOR A SMALL FEE.THE LAKE, PHOTO 4: LOCAL HERDERS INVITE US HORSE-BACK RIDING, FOR A SMALL FEE.
THE LAKE, PHOTO 4: LOCAL HERDERS INVITE US HORSE-BACK RIDING, FOR A SMALL FEE.

These local herdsmen quickly showed their skills, and some of us accepted their invitations for a ride along the lake.



12th December 2010

--
.........great life in China...man
12th December 2010
I did like the scewers of mutton-meat, but the image of a sheep did not leave my head.

haha,you did like why you will eat it~~~~~~~~~~!
12th December 2010
My Fellow Travelers in Xinjiang

like
very happy see your pic, thanks hans .
13th December 2010

Schneider! Haven't commented back in a long time, but I'm so happy to have this forum so that years after you left for China we can still keep up with what you're up to! We miss you so much here everyday and you really did eternally change our lives and made us better people. So happy to see you continue your enlightening travels and thank you for continuing to share them with us. You'd be proud to see that all of us that you left as juniors at Gables are almost out of college and ready to see what life brings us next (or almost ready, anyway). Love you! Thanks for keeping up with the blog :) -Celia
17th December 2010
My Fellow Travelers in Xinjiang

i just wanna say hi
i have no idea if u can notice my comment or recall me, i just wanna say hi to u. i was one of ur students at Taizhou Teachers College and i have graduated there for half a year. i am keeping improving my english though it seems to have no effect.to be here ur blog,it seems that i am back at our school with u and ur fat cats.....ahahah
30th January 2011
Sayram Lake near Yining, Xinjiang

Magnificient.
This is so stunning. I wish so much to visit this regions so rich of tremedeous landscape, cool climate, but inhabited with warm people. Thank you for showing us your journey!
9th April 2011

Sehr interessante Photos! Leider kann ich nie den Sayram See besuchen, der liegt zu weit in der West. Ist das Rohrwasser (Wasserloch) aus einer Bergquelle? Die kleinen, gehorsamen Pferden koennen vielleicht gar nicht so schnell gallopieren wie ihren Europaeischen Vervandten. Ja, die Kochherde sind primitiv, ueberall in dem Land, Generationen waren ganz abhaengig davon, um allen Speissen zu vorbereiten, auch nur Stroh oder Holz wurden verbrant, sehr umweltfreundlich! Und, aufgespiesstes Lambfleisch schmeckt zwar lecker, der Toteskopf mit den Totesaugen scheint schon grauslich.
15th May 2012

Yining
Hi Hans,very nice pictures,i have more or less the same because we have a house in Yining.I am from Holland and work sinds 2008 in Azerbaijan as manager in a new pianofactory, (gilanpianos.com)The funny thing is when you are in the urgur district in Yining it looks like you are back in Azerbaijan on the country side.People are the same,killing sheeps the same but the food by the Urgur is way better and ofcource, the chinese food, the best for me.Still 1 or 2 years working and then the rest of my life i am in china to live and to travel. Wish you all the luck.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb