Yamdrokso Lake, Nangartse Town, and Kambala Glacier


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet
October 30th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up early for a road trip south to Yamdrok-tso Lake, the town of Nangartse, and the Kambala Glacier at the top of the Kamba-la high pass. The drive took about the same time as the Dregung Monastery the second day - two and a half hours. Yamdrok-tso Lake is on the old road between Gyantse and Lhasa and is 4488m above sea level. It can be seen from the Kamba-la pass at 7794m. The lake is an amazing shade of deep turquoise and is one of the three holy lakes in Tibet. It’s hard to put the lake into words so look at the pictures. Boats, fishing, swimming, etc. are all not allowed on the lake - except for high ranking officials. After the death of a Dalai Lama, these officials take a boat onto the lake and look at its reflection to discover who the next one is going to be. Don’t ask me how they do it. We had lunch in the town of Nangartse, home of the 8th Dalai Lama’s mother. The glacier we went to had a stupa at the bottom with prayer flags surrounding it. My friend Divya and I climbed a small peak by the glacier and made a stone pile - something you see all over Tibet that has some sort of spiritual purpose. It was sweet. This was sadly our last day in Tibet.


Final thoughts and reflections on Tibet:

-Amazing place, go there. The larger the group you have, the cheaper it will be. I used an agency called Tibetan Connections - they were great. www.tibetanconnections.com . Take the train there, don't fly.

-The aftermath of the riots earlier this year is definitely still very present. Chinese soldiers are on almost every corner with AK-47 machine guns and riot shields. The first thing we were told when we arrived in Lhasa was not to take pictures of them. Buildings (primarily owned by chinese people) had been burned down earlier in the year, including the bank of china near our hotel

-I wish we had more time there. I am planning on making it back to Tibet sometime. I still want to see Nam-drokso Lake, do the everest base camp road trip, see more monasteries and nunneries, live with nomads, camp, climb mountains, hike, mountain bike, white water raft, etc.!!!!

-The altitude was
Daytrip to the SouthwestDaytrip to the SouthwestDaytrip to the Southwest

good place to view the river that is lhasa's cradle of life
very easy to feel. it was kind of like having a constant hangover, but hard to let it get you down with such amazing scenery.

i'd be happy to answer any questions, if any of you fellow bloggers/travelers are looking for advice.




Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Daytrip to the SouthwestDaytrip to the Southwest
Daytrip to the Southwest

agricultural town
Daytrip to the SouthwestDaytrip to the Southwest
Daytrip to the Southwest

road up to the high pass (five thousand some meters above sea level)
Daytrip to the SouthwestDaytrip to the Southwest
Daytrip to the Southwest

first view of yamdrokso lake after the high pass
Daytrip to the SouthwestDaytrip to the Southwest
Daytrip to the Southwest

We drove all around the lake and then up to another high pass where we found this glacier and stupa


17th November 2008

Hey there! looks beautiful, just wondering if its possible now for a solo traveller to move around without following a tour?
20th November 2008

response
hey, right now and probably for a long time it will not be possible to go pretty much anywhere in tibet for a foreigner without a guide and permit. the more people you are with though, the cheaper it is...
15th September 2011
Yamdrokso

Yamdrokso
it saw very nice

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb