Made it into bloody China!!!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Zhigatse
August 1st 2006
Published: August 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

All will be explained!!

And you may note that the keys stick more over here than at home and that is the sole reason for poor spelling.......

Well, last time we spoke I was off on my travels to the border. Now to any normal country that would include showing your passport and getting a stamp with the group visa. Hmm, not only are these people the owners of the filthiest toilets ever imaginable (sqatting in amongst other people with no walls, no flush and a combination of long drops/drain running through room or just a big pile of stinking pooh) but they are very pedantic and rules rule and no-one can make a decision as to wether they can even blow their own nose!

So we arrive on the "Friendship Bridge" between Nepal and Tibet only to find that the local guide is not there, and essentially there is a no ticket, no coat situation whereby no local guide no entrance to China/Tibet. (Since China did nasty things to Tibet over the years you can't get a Tibet stamp which is most annoying.) Anyway, it appears that the old chap called Nobu isn't arriving until the next day, so not only are we stuck in no-man's land where it is raining and we have become a local tourist attraction, but the trip on day 3 is running a day late!! Somehow the drivers managed to persuade the guards that we would behave ourselves and that if we moved onto the next checkpoint we would be able to try to organise things as there was no mobile reception to be had. So 4 hours after sitting on a bridge being asked for money and being stared at we moved onto the next checkpoint it all happened again. Essentially had to hand over our passports and become illegal immigrants whilst smiling at the border guards, and being taught the mantra: Chinese people are very friendly.

Hmm. That went down well. Next day similar farce occurred but eventually left and got into China. After only 29 bloody hours in total of waiting and singing to Chinese karyoke (to Country roads, take me home....... and Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy a man after midnight (they can't do g here)) in a restaurant that managed to put up with us for the vast majority of our time as refugees!

Since then have been driving really. First to a place called Nylam and then through onwards towards Everest. Been trying to acclimatise, felt a bit sick at one point, but managed to knock that on the head and get over it with a good nights sleep. Essentially we drove over a few days to Tingri where we had a final night of acclimatisation before setting off to Everest Base Camp. We were there on Sunday afternoon till Monday morning and it was ace. (Except for an unfortunate incident where we had to get on the back of a bloody donkey and cart and be dragged up to the top. 1. I do not like animals. 2. The donkey had mange. 3. It was cold with no view of Everest. The daft people basically took us a short cut, got a puncture and blamed us. Then, as if things couldn't get much worse, the whip thing that the driver beat his donkey to death with slapped me in the face with it, nearly missing my eye!!!! Surprisingly he understood the words of English of "horrid man" and the non-existence of a tip!) We got to see Everest after all that though, but we nearly didn't as it was really misty and all the people up there were saying that the day before they had had magical views, and all we could think of was killing the local guide who had managed to delay our trip...... one was not amused!! Sleeping was a bit interesting as essentially the only form of accommodation is tea huts which are big glorified tents which give you a variety of teas to drink all day as a present for sleeping there at night and paying them. Sleeping at 5 200 metres does feel a bit weird..... but all the discomfort was worth it as we saw and took loads of photos of Everest (and seeing as I didn't realise I was going to set foot on it, let alone sleep there) it was all quite a buzz.

So here I am, 1000 metres lower, for the next 3 days and then onto Lhasa (the capital of Tibet). Learning lots of history, having quite a laugh and getting on with most of the travelling group. Occasional personality clashes/me getting annoyed that peole don't say thankyou after you have cooked them a meal....... Grrrrrr!!

But am enjoying it and the comments. Not sure if you can see the comments, but they have made me giggle! No hint of a sniff of Michael Palin or the yeti, but have seen plenty of Yaks!

The next few days to a week I'm due to be looking round monasteries and getting to Lhasa, and then on 9/10th getting onto the plateau which is like a desolate desert. Quite looking forwards to it. Slightly chuffed though as it appears that my birthday will be spent in civilisation so that should allow a bit of a knees up!!

Speak soon, Love from me x



Advertisement



2nd August 2006

I want to go to Tibet!
Hya chick hope that you're having fun. I'm in my new consulting room waiting for my trainer to finish so I can go home. Need to show willing on the first day and all that. Have a nice view and all seems well. I passed the exams yeeeehar, what a relief. No gossip although you were missed at my bbq. Take care and have some momo's for me!
7th August 2006

Were back
Well daughter we are back safe and well. We did not visit one "Scottish" restaurant whilst in the States. You sound as if you are increasing the British Nations hospitality with the local people and animals. Be careful around whips I do not want you coming back with the mark of Zoro on your cheek!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb