Prayers of the Faithful


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Zhigatse
May 8th 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Getting to Know the LocalsGetting to Know the LocalsGetting to Know the Locals

John and the monks at the Tashilunhpo Monastery check out the Zhigatse's hotspots in the Lonely Planet.
Day two was another stunning drive through the Tibetan desert, past tiny whitebrick villages and fields full of yaks, all dressed up and ribboned in the sun - pretty cool.

Arriving in Shigatse we had some Tibetan food at last for lunch (it was ok) then set off to explore the Tashilhunpo Monastery - one of the most important in Tibet.

Set against the hillside and with golden rooves it is a pretty impressive sight from afar. Inside everything is on a grand scale - buddhas that are several stories high and tombs so elaborate they could bankrupt the nation. The highlight was being there at prayer time. We chatted with some of the younger monks and then entered into the Assembly hall as the monks (without their monk-slippers) chanted amidst the smell of juniper smoke and the yak butter tea as they enjoyed their evening meal. It was intoxicating and a little overwhelming - the altitude and tiredness overcoming me and causing me to feel a little weak. Crazy stuff.

More great Sichuan food ended another neat day - that and a snickers helped to really finish it off!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb