Gamblin' in Gyantse


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Friendship Highway
May 7th 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So we set off bright and early on our second Jeep mission across Tibet. This time our travel companions were much more hospitable; three crazy guys from the USA who made the next week one of the best of our trip so far.

We left Lhasa and headed up to a pass of 4900m where I had the pleasure of riding a yak. Ok it only went a few steps and was totally cheesy, but I did get some awesomely dumb photos so it was totally worth the 50cents!

Yamdrok Lake was stunning - blue and turquoise against the russet coloured hills of the Tibetan Plateau, very beautiful.

We spent the afternoon and evening in Gyantse where we explored the Pelkor Chode Monastery and Gyantse Kumbum. There were a myriad of tiny, dark chapels filled with gigantic statues of various deities.... very scary. On the walls were the burn marks from the destruction during the cultural revolution, pretty saddening stuff. From the top we had awesome views across the city and to the plains beyond.

The food on the trip was actually pretty wicked, mostly thanks to Andy and John who could both speak chinese, and who took the liberty of ordering for us. We did easy mostly Sichuan Chinese food, but it was damn good and we now know we don't hate eggplant.

A great first day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb