Everest towards home


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Shigatse
October 3rd 2008
Published: October 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 12 - Everest to Shigatse

When we woke up, we felt like we had all had the worst nights sleep ever. Mum had been sick in the night, i had a mamouth headache and it was cold and frosty. The view however, was clear again, which meant that we had been lucky enough to see Everest two days running, which made everything worth while.

We even got our postcards stamped at the worlds highest post office (which had been shut the day before).

On our way back to Shigatse, we stopped at the worlds highest Monastery in Rongbuk, which is still home to about 30 monks and quite unusually nuns as well. The other monasterys we had seen had been exclusively for monks.

We stopped for lunch at a local restaurant, where the menu continued to give us moments of hysteria at the translatations they had made. We drove back to Shigastse along the same route, and arrived for the night at a slightly different hotel, which had a tempting shop but which was never open for us to look in.

Mum gave tea a miss, and the three of us went out with the Guide to one of the chain of restaurants called Tashi. We had looked at the one in Lhasa as it was in the guide book, but it looked so uninviting we had given it a miss. The guide assured us this was a good chain so we vowed to give it another chance in Lhasa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



3rd October 2008

I saw a big picture---- from Mao Zedong, Dong Xiaoping, to Jiang Zemin.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb