Former Residence of Guo Moruo


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Leshan
February 22nd 2024
Published: February 22nd 2024
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

While on holiday I've been reading a book written by Dr. Li ZhiSui who was Mao Zedong's physician from after World War II until Mao's death in 1976. In the book Mao told Dr. Li of a meeting in Chongqing between the communists and nationalists to set up a united front in the war against Japan. Before this meeting Guo MoRuo saw that Mao wasn't wearing a watch so he took his watch off his wrist and gave it to the Chairman. Mao wore this watch until he died. I had no idea who Guo MoRuo was so I did a little research and found that he was from a village on the outskirts of Leshan called Shawan, and that his family home had been turned into a museum.

It is only a hour on a city bus to Shawan from the main coach station.
The house itself was a sprawling old wooden courtyard house with a pretty garden with a museum and other gardens behind the actual house. The house was wonderful with all of the captions in Chinese and English, however, the museum had no English at all.

Guo MoRuo was a Chinese intellectual who was a poet, author, historian, archeologist and government official.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb