A very busy week


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
June 17th 2017
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

This week we have been travelling to sites all around Chengdu.

Our first visit was to a Biodynamic farm, where we covered a propagation tunnel in plastic, before being set to work in a paddock to try and find as many earthworms as we could, to start a worm farm.

The next visit was to Dujiangyaun to see an irrigation system that has been in use, providing water to
Chengdu, and the province of Sichuan, for the last 2000 years. An incredible site with spectacular views and beautiful temples. After lunch we went to see how the people of Chengdu enjoy leisure activities along the banks of the river. Imagine beach umbrellas set up along the banks (a little like being on Bondi Beach) but with tables set up underneath, and people eating meals, drinking tea or playing card games while others drift down the ‘rapids’ in rubber dinghies.

The rest of the visits begin to blur in all the excitement and slowly encroaching exhaustion. A visit to the Cuisine museum, where we ground soy beans to make tofu, made panda dumplings and ‘shower’ pickle (which can be eaten within hours of making it, hence the name). We could also sample many types of food (as much as we could eat), typical examples of Sichaun cuisine, before heading off to an exhibition of Chinese and Tibetan Art, Craft, medicine and, can you guess? More food.

Then a visit to the Bronze Age museum and, finally, ending the week of outings with a visit to the Pandas. Also punctuated by stops for delicious meals.

It’s been a great week but I am looking forward to a rest day.

Arlene

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb