#66 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Dafo, the Great Buddha)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
January 11th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Located on a sprawling UNESCO World Heritage Site in Sichuan Province of China, this impressive 230 foot high Dafo, or Great Buddha, has been carved into the red sandstone hill called Lingyun Hill, where 3 treacherous rivers confluence, the Min, the Dadu, and the Qingyi Rivers in the city of Le Shan, some 3 hrs from Chengdu's Panda Bears. To safeguard the passing boats, the monk Haitong in 713 ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

What a job, casting and transporting this bell to the mountain-top.What a job, casting and transporting this bell to the mountain-top.
What a job, casting and transporting this bell to the mountain-top.

The great size of the bell, with its unique details, can be greatly appreciated when compared to the young Chinese visitor.
Smaller stone-carvings grace the surroundings of the Great Buddha.Smaller stone-carvings grace the surroundings of the Great Buddha.
Smaller stone-carvings grace the surroundings of the Great Buddha.

This ancient Buddha is carved directly into the sandstone mountain side, along the paths leading to and from Dafo.
SurvivorSurvivor
Survivor

Thankfully, this carved sand stone shrine has survived the turmoil of the Cultural Revolution.
happyhappy
happy

This beautiful "Happy Buddha" has been carved in ancient times from one single block of marble.
The "Happy Buddha"The "Happy Buddha"
The "Happy Buddha"

It is impossible for a visitor not to smile, when confronted with such a happy face, supported by this athletic and "fit" body. It gave me pause to think about mine!
Why here?Why here?
Why here?

The monk Haitong created this 230 ft. high Great Buddha. Impressive, and its the remaining rubble also helped control the torrents of the three converging rivers.



11th January 2007

Hello!
I know it's been a long while since I commented, it's been so crazy for me with solos to prepare and stuff to do for a certain english class of mine! The pics look amazing as does the country. You seem to always have an adventure to go on. How I envy you! Just stopping by to say hi!
21st September 2007

xx
thats place look really gd i wanna go there if i did it will be intesting xx

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 16; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb