They just want to talk...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
June 2nd 2009
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

So my time is winding up here faster than I can say, “Hot diggity damn!” It’s not that I don’t like it here…I’m just ready to move on. I landed a teaching position as a Summer Camp Counselor in Yangzhou, which is a few hours from Shanghai on the East coast. It’s only for 2 weeks but I’ll be teaching and/or playing games with 7-12 year olds, different from what I’m used to. But what I’m really looking forward to, is being in a city on the East coast, where they’re more accustomed to my kind…otherwise known as, white people The stares and waving of cameras has driven me into seclusion, I dread leaving my apartment most days. The novelty, for me, wore off about 2 months ago. I even unplugged my phone in my apartment. A few faculty members have taken the liberty of handing out my phone number to people who are not my students. I receive phone calls till 10:30pm all week and before 9am on weekends, it is always someone who wants something. Wants to talk with me (which means they want to practice their English) or wants me to give a presentation to a class so they can learn more about American culture—and then to ask questions (again, practicing their English). Interesting thing I’ve come to learn about the Chinese, they are very good at not taking “No” for an answer. Granted, I’m not good at giving “no” as an answer, but I’ve been pushed to the edge! Been getting a lot of practice lately…Example:

Last night, I finish my evening class (4:40-6:30), go into the village to stock up on fruits (I bought 7 different kinds of fruit!) and grab a little rolled up potato/lettuce wrap for dinner. With my arms heavily weighed down, I start the long trek back across campus. I’m finally about 2 minutes from my apartment—which is good because I have to pee now, when I hear someone running behind me and yelling. With my headphones in it was difficult to know what they were saying, I assumed they weren’t yelling at me and gave them room to pass. Unfortunately, the girl ran right up to me and stopped. For a minute I thought I may had dropped some fruit and this kind soul was alerting me to my plastic bag breach, but sadly no. She, ‘just wanted to talk.’ It began with, “Do you have a minute?” Stunned and slightly annoyed, I emphasize the weight of my bags and sarcastically respond, “No, I want to get home.” So then, she tries to TAKE my bags from me, all the while trying to tell me that she will help me (because she wants to “talk with me”). Even more annoyed now, I vigorously shake my head no, and grip onto my mangoes and bananas as if my life depended on them!

She looked confused and started mumbling about how she would “like just a minute” because she “needs help.” Miffed that my solid “No” didn’t work, yet slightly intrigued at her plea for “help” I use my best annoyed/exhausted tone and ask her what I can help her with (although I know the answer—she needs HELP with English). Sure enough, she goes on and on about not speaking English well and wanting to learn more and how I would be “perfect to practice with.” I politely listen, counted to 7 in my head, telling myself to cut her off at 7 and march home to relieve myself (of pee and of these EXTREMELY heavy bags of fruit!). At 15 (I know…) I finally interject and told her “I’m tired, I’ve been teaching all day, I’m hungry, I just want to go home and relax. I’m sorry, but I can’t help you right now.” I couldn’t help but smile to myself, so proud that I just crushed this girls’ dream of practicing English with me, but while I was busy gloating to myself, this girl launched a rebuttal!! She was literally, arguing with me—insisting that I should be practicing English with her. Giving in a little bit, I indulged her need for English and asked her a question or two—made some small talk, and then tried my exit again. Although she refused my retreat again, I didn’t care, I just started walking away. I felt I did my teacherly duty by speaking with her for a few minutes, but in the end it just came down to the fact that I had to pee.

So it is situations like this, that make me count my days till I am through (19 days).



Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb