A trip to the "Lubrication Blending Factory"


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
May 7th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A quickie, but nonetheless entertaining...

I was asked to judge an English speaking competition at a local Petroleum company, I agreed, however I was not overly enthusiastic about it. After agreeing to it, I was told that usually people get paid for this type of thing. Finding out that my English status was being exploited I was less than thrilled to oblige.

I get picked up by a vehicle around 1pm on Thursday, I was escorted by Daphne, from the foreign affairs department, and another teacher from another University campus joined us. We pull up to the building where I see a sign that says, "China Lubricant Blending Factory." I smother my giggles and avert my gaze from the guards shamelessly staring in the windows. We get out of our vehicle and are escorted to some office where we sit and have tea. I sit there while several others enjoy conversation and steal looks in my direction. I'm barely given any information on what is about to unfold, but am so annoyed with everything I'm beginning to not care a lot.

Soon, I am motioned to get up, I follow the rest of the group out the door and into another room, which to my surprise is full of people staring at me. I take my seat at the judges table and was then handed a scoring sheet...IN CHINESE. Still, I maintain control of my giggles and try to ask the girl next to me what this says. In hushed whispers she explains to me the grading sheet and the theme of the contest. However, before she is done they've started the competition. Of 7 competitors, none of them had a healthy grasp of the English language. We had to ask them questions after their "speeches" were finished, but when I asked a question I was met with uncomfortable silence and a quick "I don't understand" all while they're rushing back to their seat.

Finally came the time to announce the winners. We were each given a certificate to give to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers. In handing me my certificate to award, they said, "Ok, announce you're winner," well it was written in Chinese?! I shake my head and just look at the girl next to me, she tried to encourage me and pointed to the Chinese scribble on the certificate. I shake my head, a little disgusted at the whole thing, and blurted out, "I can't read this?!" Amused she read the name and the boy came up and received his loser's certificate. Finally, when they announced the winner I was surprised to see who they gave it to (although I saw the name, I had NO IDEA who it was) he was the most attractive speaker but did very poorly. The girl who should have won was unforgivingly unattractive, Daphne later told me that probably played a roll in the competition. Finally, after taking several pictures with the competitors and several with miscellaneous strangers standing around gawking, I get to leave. Very jaded by the entire experience...BUT, I get to say now that I've been to a "Lubrication Blending Factory."



Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb