Beef Wherefore Art Thou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanxi » Taiyuan
November 10th 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

My first full week in Lucheng Middle School No. 1 is now over and it went better than expected. I’ve taught all the classes now so I know what to expect and it turns out I only really need to create one lesson plan which I can use for both levels making particular tasks slightly harder if necessary for the Grade Two’s. Some of the classes are particularly nice to teach as the students are very enthusiastic and actually seem interested in doing something. Other classes on the other hand are rather trying with many students just sitting around chatting in Chinese instead of doing what I’ve asked them to do, or doing homework from another subject or even sleeping. The worst culprits are usually a group of three boys sitting right at the back of the classroom…

I had my second session of being escorted to the supermarket which was nice as I had another long list of things I wanted to buy, meat specifically. I got to buy some Chinese food such as steamed dumplings and these mini toast things that come with different flavourings on. I will buy both again as they were delicious. I also went to the department store again and bought some extra thick pyjamas and a dressing gown. I also finally bought some shower slippers and some normal slippers. The pyjamas are excellent; they’re so warm and toasty. I love them.

On Wednesday I ventured out alone to a cosmetics shop to get some hand cream. Chalk is super drying and the cold weather is also not aiding my skin so a moisturiser is necessary. I managed to get the hand cream by gesturing to some foot cream but then indicating I wanted it form my hands. The shop assistant understood what I wanted so the language of the body and gesturing wins again. I did however end up buying some Aloe gelatin as I simply didn’t know how to politely refuse the woman as she didn’t speak English I don’t speak a word of Chinese. There was also an outing to the convenience store to buy some more instant noodles. I am desperate to learn the phrases for: Have you been busy? How much is it? Thank You. As well as some of the various replies I could be given so that I don’t look like a complete idiot.

On Wednesday night I also decided to try the beef that I’d bought at the supermarket. I’d had to buy cooked beef as they didn’t have any raw…and I don’t mean they had run out, they literally didn’t sell raw beef… The beef was a small roasted piece and it looked exactly as it does when my mum cooks roast beef on a Sunday so I was eagerly anticipating it. It was disgusting. It didn’t taste like any beef I’d ever had before. I guess I should have been slightly cautious after my previous beef eating in China at a restaurant where I was served sirloin steak that definitely wasn’t sirloin steak at least not of a cow. So I had to throw the beef away after such a bitter disappointment especially as I knew that I wasn’t going to eat no matter how hungry I got.

Finally last night I cooked a chicken noodle soup myself with the help of some flavourings. It turned out pretty well if I do say so myself and there is plenty left over to eat for lunch and dinner today. Tomorrow I will attempt to make a sort of wanton soup with some frozen wontons I have in the freezer. The wontons come with their own flavouring to it should be simply a case of frying up some onions, spring onions and spices then adding water and wontons followed by pak-choi and finally adding the flavouring. I’m hoping it will be a success as I will feel utterly dejected if it fails particularly as it requires me to go to one of the many small grocers to get some onions and spring onions, another awkward gesturing negotiation.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb