Raise the Red Lantern


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanxi » Pingyao
June 9th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Waking up at 7am on a hard sleeper, after a fitful nights sleep only to jump in a rickshaw to the Hostel we were to pick up our onward Train tickets to Xi'an from was not that nice, especially as Pingyao appeared to be yet another uninspired Asian town, full of smog and road rage. But how wrong I was! How I should have learned by now not to judge too quickly! A huge great grey stone wall came into view, the outer edge of the ancient city of Pingyao, under a deep tunnel and it was breathtaking on the inside, like stepping through the wardrobe into Narnia, or at least Diagon Ally with an Eastern touch.

We had foolishly booked an onward night train to Xi'an, the idea being to save on accommodation. We hadn't counted on not sleeping on the sleeper trains and I wish we had had at least a night in Pingyao as the accommodation was all in 400 year old traditional Chinese buildings, full of wooden courtyards with bonsai trees and wells. It would have been like sleeping in the Forbidden City! but we didn't, so we dropped out stuff off at the guesthouse we were picking our onward train tickets up from, grabbed a shower for 20 RMB, some banana pancakes with a Dutch family, hired some bikes, met up with Lauren, Dylon and Wade, the New Zealand guys we met in Datong, and spent the day tearing round Pingyao's dusty backstreets and main streets, buying punching puppets of world dictators and narrowly avoiding the tourists. A quick dinner with the other people we met on the train and we legged it for the station.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Pingyao guest house Pingyao guest house
Pingyao guest house

One of the Guest house courtyards, over 400 years old
Punching PuppetPunching Puppet
Punching Puppet

The George Bush puppet and I go for a ride, chasing after the Bin Laden Puppet in another basket
Pingyao city wallsPingyao city walls
Pingyao city walls

view from the inside
Potato noodlesPotato noodles
Potato noodles

I think that's what she was making at least
tradtitionaltradtitional
tradtitional

The flat screen tv was invented by the Chinese over 2,000 years ago
Wade and bikeWade and bike
Wade and bike

One of the New Zealand guys we met and his 'Flying Pidgeon' bicycle
Pingyao backstreetsPingyao backstreets
Pingyao backstreets

Residentaial courtyard


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb