Last day in Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
August 25th 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ok so Friday was a really busy day. I got up early and went in to observe the other ELA teaching practise at the Chinese secondary school. Then it was back to Bell (our school) for lunch before going back to the Chinese school where the kids had lined up some entertainment for us.

First up were two boys performing a complex boy band-esque song and dance routine. It was certainly something no self-respecting 15/16 year old school boy in the UK would do. Then there were a number of short plays, one of which was particularly Shakespearean. It involved a soon-to-be-married couple who sold their hair and glasses behind each others backs in order to buy each other wedding presents - very tragic-comic.

We then had some more songs including Westlife solos by the Chinese English teachers and some really excellent performances on the violin and Chinese lute.

The ELAs also performed a stunning rendition of the now infamous “Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin” (The moon represents my heart). Some ELAs also did versions of “My Old Man’s A Dustman” and “the Hokey Cokey”.

Then we went back to Bell for even more speeches and the presentation of our certificates and group photos. Afterwards it was back to our accommodation to get ready for our farewell dinner (and to try and get a little packing done). The dinner was at the same hotel as our welcome dinner but this time was a little disappointing from a veggie perspective and again we had yet more speeches and photos.

After dinner pretty much everyone went on to a club in Shanghai. It was Y100 to get in (Y50 for the girls) and then a free bar. It was an R n’B, Hip-hop night but that said it was quite good. I got chatting to one of the ELAs and discovered that she lives in Codicote and went to my secondary school, it truly is a small world. All in all I had a great night.

Had to get up pretty early to finish packing and get the minibus to the airport to catch my flight to Xiamen.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb