Weekend in Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
August 19th 2006
Published: September 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So this weekend I went into Shanghai proper for the first time since I've been here. I know, I know but they've been keeping us really busy with teaching methodology and Chinese classes as well as observed teaching practice.

Shanghai is certainly a different place at night; the whole place seems to really come alive. We strolled down Nanjing Lu, the main shopping road in Shanghai, and the Bund and the banks of the river. It's really interesting to see the contrast between the colonial banks and buildings of the bund on one side of the river and the modern high-rise towers on the Pudong side. It was a pleasant walk despite having to constantly "bu yao" (not want) all the street vendors trying to sell us various bits of tat.

On the Sunday, we went into Shanghai again during the day and this time took the Sightseeing Tunnel under the river. It has to be one of the most psychedelic experiences ever. You race through a tunnel under the river in what can only be described as a pod, while bright flashing lights go nuts around you and some bizarre Chinese / American commentary shouts things like "magma" and "ocean" in your ear. It has to be seen to be believed but it's possibly the best 2 pounds I've ever spent.

After that "experience" we strolled we stopped on the Pudong side of the river for a drink and pretzels in a German Biergarten, which was really good but far too expensive to do regularly. We caught the bus back to our accommodation and ended up watching the Chelsea - Man City match on Chinese TV, complete with Chinese commentary. They're absolutely football crazy over here and naturally the vast majority are Man U. supporters.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Oriental Pearl TowerOriental Pearl Tower
Oriental Pearl Tower

a captivatingly hideous and beautiful building that it's hard not to stare at


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb