CHINA: PROPAGANDA & ART


Advertisement
Asia » China » Shanghai
January 30th 2013
Published: January 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

CHINA: PROPAGANDA & ART. My 5th visit to China...and I'm pretty excited...18 December 2012...touch down in Shanghai...met at the Airport by friends of my Xiondi (Chinese younger brother)...yep pretty excited. Was invited to join the Caravan of Artists for Peace from Mauritania through Mali to Burkina Faso...but March not suit...so where to go in December/January? Our daughter Anna-Louise st... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

THE SHANGHAI BUND...THE SHANGHAI BUND...
THE SHANGHAI BUND...

DURING LABOUR DAY FESTIVAL 1959
FORGING AHEAD COURAGEOUSLY...FORGING AHEAD COURAGEOUSLY...
FORGING AHEAD COURAGEOUSLY...

WHILE FOLLOWING THE GREAT LEADER CHAIRMAN MAO...1969
FORWARD WITH FAST SPEED...FORWARD WITH FAST SPEED...
FORWARD WITH FAST SPEED...

TO BUILD AND DEFEND MOTHERLAND...1978



30th January 2013
RED DETACHMENT OF WOMEN

Ahh haa......you have been rumbled....
Now I know where that weird firing stance you adopted at Cu Chi shooting range came from ;)
30th January 2013
RED DETACHMENT OF WOMEN

NICK
Balance and poise AKA the Dancing One
30th January 2013

Wow!
What an amazing trip... Looks fantastic, I'm very envious!
30th January 2013

THANKS RACHAEL
Enjoy the ride...definitely worth getting a seat
30th January 2013

History in pictures
Really enjoyed looking through these - was there any problem at all with taking the photos? Btw, which one of the panorama dolls are you? ;-) Looking forward to your Mischief on the Mekong entry!
30th January 2013

HI JO...History in Pictures
I'll do a side-step on the first two questions. As to the first, let's say I believe I was very fortunate I could take so many pictures. As to the second, if you are saying I'm a doll...well thank you. Plenty to blog about on this trip so enjoy the ride...I've kept a special seat for you up the front!
1st February 2013

Wow!
I really enjoyed this blog and I learned a lot too! Its been interesting to look through all the art/posters you posted.
1st February 2013

THANKS ANASTASIA
Glad you spent the rime to look at the posters. I find them fascinating. A bit of history so colourful and evocative...and some so blatent...they are more propaganda than art.
8th February 2013

Art politics and history...great blog
The propoganda art is amazing I just love that heavy idealogy applied to art. Was hoping to see this sort of stuff in Cuba, but saw nothing. Unsure if cuba never got aboard this train all they are suppressing it now to lift the embargo. Great to see it is still celebrated and shown in China...thanks for taking the risks on photographing it and posting.
11th February 2013

Hi Shelley & Scott
I find the propaganda amazing. Have a big interest in the Cultural Revolution as I know people affected by it...from various sections of the cultural divide. Reminds us how fortunate we are that the coin of life fell that we come from the Lucky Country. Keep safe guys...and keep waving the flag...where ever you are.
1st March 2013
UNTITLED 1

Translation of the slogan
Vietnamese people's struggle against the U.S. is a huge contribution to the revolutionary movement of the people all around the world (From the content of the slogan, we could say that this is a poster produced in China during the Vietnam-US war)
1st March 2013
UNTITLED 1

THANKS JAMES
A slogan I needed. Thank you so much. Hope you enjoyed the blog.
8th April 2013

Shanghai Girls
These posters are marvelous. You might want to read the novel "Shanghai Girls" about two sisters who pose for advertising calendars. (Well, at least it starts there...)
8th April 2013

Shanghai Girls
Thanks for your comment Karen. The posters are amazing...a book about two sisters who pose for them would be an insight into an exotic slice of the history of China...thanks for the info.
30th April 2016
1930's SHANGHAI CALENDAR GIRL

Curvy Shanghai Calendar Girls
If you notice, the Shanghai calendar and poster girls were very curvaceous with womanly bodies. Nowadays, Asian women are forced to be unnaturally thin and flat chested in order to be classy and dignified because curves are considered slutty for women in Asian culture these days.
2nd May 2016
1930's SHANGHAI CALENDAR GIRL

Curvy Shanghai Calendar Girls
Poignant comment Lisa. Highlighting that propaganda continues today...forcing attitudes as to how or when the female form should be perceived as acceptable. Yeeka!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb