Day 2: Visit at 7 - Colour Flower Elementary School in Luwan District


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
July 10th 2011
Published: July 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Seven Colored Flower Elementary School Trip
July 10, 2011
By: Heather and Jason
Today was the first official day for Shanghai camp, and we went to the Seven Colored Flower Elementary School to learn about the Chinese culture and education. First we had our opening ceremony there, where we were introduced to the teachers and students of the school. We were given a key chain and an art portfolio each during the assembly for souvenir. Then we were assigned into 6 groups; A, B, C, D, E, and F. Afterwards we were taken by three student guides from the school for a tour around.
We learned three classic Chinese songs that we had to perform at the assembly that same night. There were lead singers, and people playing instruments. We got a chance to rehearse our performance right before lunch.
After lunch, we got back into our groups, and started learning the Chinese art of paper cutting, making faces of people from Peking Opera, and the history of calligraphy. We cut out Chinese paper dolls using sharp scissors, and then glued our masterpiece onto a white piece of paper. We made faces of people from Peking Opera using some type of wet, mouldable foam. After we were finished, we attached a keychain hook into it to complete our keychain. We then learned about the history of Chinese writing and calligraphy, then wrote a few words of our own onto a paper fan given to us. Our tired and hungry group went to the restaurant for an extravagant dinner after this.
The time has come for performance. Both the students from the school and our group had something prepared for the show. There were singing, dancing, Ancient Chinese instruments, poetry, and piano. It was a fun night for us all.
I think it was a good opportunity for all of us that came from outside of China. We were able to learn and understand more of what we already know. It was a great start for our time in Shanghai, and we look forward to be back to the school again on the 14th.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb