Shanghai Expo 2010: Asia, Middle East and the Pacific


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 19th 2010
Published: May 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

THE China PavilionTHE China PavilionTHE China Pavilion

The best! We loved the giant scroll, the ride (Dialogue) , the short avp, the exhibits, the garden. But be prepared for the long lines!
We were a group of 10. My entire caboodle of 5 adults and 2 kids (less Shelly who is in Sydney), and my friend's family of 3 . With 3 days to "waste" at the Expo, we tried to "structure" our visit into : Asia, Middle East and the Pacific for Day 1, then Europe for Day 2 and the Americas for Day 3. Naturally, we all agreed to dedicate our last day for shopping. Each day started with a very late breakfast, off to the Expo site via metro by noon, a very late lunch (when others are done with it, to avoid the lines) and making our way home by 8pm or so. Dinner can be anywhere, but each opportunity to savor good food never ever wasted!


Flight from Manila to Shanghai




We took the 8:20pm flight of Cebu Pacific out of Manila, arriving just before midnight in Shanghai. No meals, no frills, to the great disappointment of the kids in our group. This is the same budget flight we took the last time we went to Shanghai , so we know better this time around. We got to the airport early enough
China + Nepal PavilionsChina + Nepal PavilionsChina + Nepal Pavilions

A pity we weren't able to get inside the Nepal Pav. The long line discouraged us. Besides, we were just too eager to get inside the Saudi Arabia Pav right across it.
to enjoy a proper dinner at this Italian restaurant inside the terminal, so we heard no complaints from the kids while on flight. 😊 With 10 of us comprising a group, my friend Mario arranged to take us on a van to bring us to Shama, our residence for the next 5 days. Shama Xujiahui is a serviced apartment in the Xuhui District - good location, relatively new, with 3 bedrooms , a spacious living and dining room, and a kitchen and laundry area. Reasonably priced too at RMB 1,095. Only 6 of us stayed in the serviced apartment, the other 4 (including the 2 kids) stayed with my friends Mario and Weng in their condominium unit . With the pantry stocked good (thanks, my friends) with bottled water, juices, eggs, ham, bacon, bread, cheese, butter, and brace yourself.......chinese foie gras, we felt "secure". 😱


The Impressive China Pavilion



Two metro rides and we reached the main entrance of the Expo Site. Sounds easy? Yeah, but be sure to wear real comfy shoes as it is still a long walk to get through the gates and to the pavilions.


As we entered,
A Giant Animated Chinese ScrollA Giant Animated Chinese ScrollA Giant Animated Chinese Scroll

I was so amazed with this. Watch this "animated version" of a chinese scroll at the Chinese Pavilion.
looming in the background is the impressive China Pavilion where a long line snaked all around it. We decided to walk past it and visit the other Asian pavilions first. But call me excited, I do want to talk about the China pavilion FIRST.


The architecture of the China National Pavilion is one for the books in all its redness and magnificence. The unique structure boasts of traditional chinese timber structures sans nails , held together atop 4 massive stilts allowing passersby through the pavilion! Traditional in design, but very modern and eco-friendly architecture as we soon found out. There were solar cells on the rooftop and a rain water collecting system to recycle water for use in the garden inside the pavilion. This impressive "Forbidden City red" structure is the banner photo of the Shanghai Expo 2010 and serves as the main exhibition hall for the Expo with the theme "Better City, Better Life".


Inside, we were first taken to the theater where a short film about a family of 3 generations traced China's progress . Indeed, China has come a long way. The collage of photos revealed how the old blended with the
Still Inside the China PavilionStill Inside the China PavilionStill Inside the China Pavilion

Tired legs and all, it was a pleasant ride inside the pavilion.
new and modern. Old, typical Chinese structures looming in the background as new skycrapers -- the new Shanghai "Manhattan" -- sprouted all around. This is my 4th trip to Shanghai in 2 years, and I am still amazed by shanghai's skyline . It's like the architects were given free rein to design their buildings without heed for cost. Beautiful, yet functional structures. The Chinese certainly know the value of aesthetics in everything.


Then we strolled from the theater to a gallery showing a giant Chinese silk scroll. Initially, it all looked just what I said -- a giant scroll. Until we learned it was animated! Those characters rowing their small boats, walking around the villages, checking their wares, climbing stairs, combing their hair, opening house windows, etc. We were simply bowled over. Just as our adrenaline hits high notes, we were treated to another short film showing how modern amenities in an urban setting can improve the quality of living in a city. In the area of agriculture, there were exhibits of super miracle rice varieties growing so tall I was reminded of "Jack and the Beanstalk". We were in for more surprises as we took a ride -- yes a ride -- to view lights and sounds of old and modern china (The Dialogue) . It was a good break from all the walking as we got seated for the next 5 minutes. From there, we strolled past exhibits of China's version of "smart cars" as well as the garden itself! I thought then that if a day pass in this World Expo gets one to just spend the whole day in the China Pavilion, it would still be worth your while. On the way out, we passed paintings done by kids aged as young as 8, depicting their dreams of the future. By the time we rode the escalator down to the ventilated atrium, we took time to sit it out in the nearby Chinese garden which amazingly elicited serenity and harmony after all that excitement in the past hour or so.



The Rest of Asia, Middle East and the Pacific




We checked out the Thai Pavilion where we saw many groups of chinese kids in their uniforms lining up to get in. Getting in and made to stand around a small pool was a refreshing respite from the heat
India + Saudi Arabia PavilionsIndia + Saudi Arabia PavilionsIndia + Saudi Arabia Pavilions

India looks like a gardened dome while Saudi Arabia looks like a flying saucer from space. Right across it is the Nepal Pavilion.
outside. Lovely, colorful images reflected on the pool made for a great introduction for the kids to learn about Thai culture and civilization. Like one of the kids was surprised to learn there is a Thai King!!! The 3D film was also such a hit with the kids, and may have raised the bar in so far as expectations go. The film was Disney-like complete with "drizzle effects".


From the Thai Pavilion, we visited the Philippine Pavilion. Naturally, the kids felt so at home here. Our 10 year old boy Martin couldn't resist having his fried rice and barbecued pork here. I was tempted to order a cup of our local brew too, but then the kids rule in this place, so......


Right across the Philippine Pavilion is the Singapore Pavilion. As soon as we got in, we were made to "march" in circles all the way to the top. I had to admit I wasn't excited with that. But the rooftop garden of orchids was truly lovely.


After that roundabout in Singapore Pavilion, we skipped Indonesia as soon as we learned we had to go around to the top too. We also walked
The Philippine PavilionThe Philippine PavilionThe Philippine Pavilion

Inside you can try our coffee bar and "hilot" (local massage), as well as some native products.
past Vietnam. Instead, we checked out Malaysia and Cambodia. Malaysia had photo ops with the image of Petronas Towers , as well as some of its famous beach resorts, while Cambodia had Angkor Wat for its theme. We saw many Japanese tourists bowled over by the many gems like emeralds and rubies on sale in the pavilion's souvenir store.

Too bad we couldn't get in at the Nepal Pavilion. I have been to Kathmandu and admired their architecture and culture. The facade of the Nepal Pav transports one back to the land of temples, mountain treks and holy men. I would have wanted to introduce the kids to Nepalese culture, but no luck. We weren't lucky with the Australia Pavilion too.


But we got lucky with the Saudi Arabian Pavilion. Touted as the next best pav, we enjoyed the "slow ride" on a conveyor belt while images flashed all around us --- from the deserts of Saudi Arabia, to the intricate Arabic designs, to oil rigs and wells, veiled women and robed men, ponds teeming with fish, etc. The India Pavilion makes for a stark contrast to the nearby futuristic design of the Saudi Arabia Pavilion. If
Inside Saudi Arabia PavilionInside Saudi Arabia PavilionInside Saudi Arabia Pavilion

Standing on a conveyor belt, viewing all these transports one to arab land.
you ask me, the Saudi Arabia Pavilion looks like a flying saucer from outer space, except that it has palm trees adorning its top. As for the India Pavilion, its unique lawn or garden dome is quite a sight but do be careful standing in line as we did late afternoon, when the water sprinklers were on. We were all disoriented on whether it was raining that sunny afternoon.


If Saudi Arabia Pavilion ranks high with us, the kids give 5 stars to the Korea Pavilion. And no, it is not because the pav is right next to the kids' favorite KFC food outlet. Korea built a huge pav here, complete with interactive games and a short film which reminded us of the many Korean soap on tv many Filipinos have grown accustomed to. Ultra modern in approach, the short film is a good excuse as basis for a sequel to Superman, Asian version. Holograms? Cyber friends? Don't ask me. But we had a good time there. The kids even reminded us that the next World Expo will be in Yeosu, Korea in 2012, and the bigger one in Milan 2015. Oh my. The things that do matter
Inside India PavilionInside India PavilionInside India Pavilion

Right beside the Saudi Arabia Pavillion. It's that round dome with a manicured garden on top. While in line, the water sprinkler was on--- so many of those in line got wet!
to them..........


The Oman, Israel and Pakistan Pavilions all look marvelous with Oman's boat shaped structure, the snail-like (according to the kids) shape of the Israel Pav and the temple palace structure of the Pakistan Pav. But there was just no time to visit all these. Aaaah. . . . there is just a ton of pavilions here that it is easy to feel cheated missing out on many of them.


New Zealand Pavilion invited a lot of attention by the time we strolled past it. They had a cultural presentation and that caught the kids' interest. Asked to explain, I can only go as far as saying that the aboriginal dance is their version of our local "ati-atihan" and the tahitian dance. Shame on me! This was also an "ice cream stop" for us, as the kids began counting off the "visas" they got stamped on their "passports" --- China, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Korea, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Cambodia.


Watching out for the red China Pav and the Expo Axis (which all look like lab funnels) , we got ready to leave. It was quite a walk towards the exit gate. And it is
New ZealandNew ZealandNew Zealand

The kids enjoyed the show here, plus the ICE CREAM!
only the first day 😞 The next 2 days, we do Europe, Americas and Africa. Check out Shanghai Expo 2010: European Pavilions and A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the World Expo @Shanghai .


Some useful tips: metro rides cost 4 yuan, a 3 day pass cost 400 yuan, single day pass at 160 yuan. Food? Try KFC, but for nearly the same price, you can feast on Chinese dishes at the Bi Feng Tang. Better still, try mini meals or local snacks from the pavilions you visit. The Cantonese Restaurant is pricey. I have not tried it, but I hear the Korean Resto inside the pavilion is good. And don't forget the ice cream...... 20 yuan at the Canada Pav, cheaper elsewhere. Sofie Mix goes for 15 yuan for 2 ice cream cones, and they're good. Going from Asia/Middle East to Europe and the Americas, take the expo shuttle. Trust me. Unless of course you wish to end the day with jelly legs. 😊



UPDATE: I did have a second shot at the World Expo in July. Added Japan and Indonesia to my list in the Asian Zone. Oh, Australia Pavilion too. Uploaded some photos from inside these pavilions. Go check out my update: The Inside Story: Some Unfinished Business @World Expo in Shanghai
Martin @ Sri LankaMartin @ Sri LankaMartin @ Sri Lanka

Happy kid..........gao xing!













Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Anna Patricia @China PavilionAnna Patricia @China Pavilion
Anna Patricia @China Pavilion

My, how they grow! Anna Patricia, all of 12 now.
Pakistan+China Pav At NightPakistan+China Pav At Night
Pakistan+China Pav At Night

That's my good friend Evelyn and moi. Walking out of Gate 7, we snapped a few shots on this spot.
Thai PavilionThai Pavilion
Thai Pavilion

Kids lining up to get in! Wish I took a better picture. The 3D (or 4D) movie must have excited all these kids.
Inside Korea PavilionInside Korea Pavilion
Inside Korea Pavilion

Interactive games galore. No wonder the kids loved it here.
Still Inside Saudi Arabia PavilionStill Inside Saudi Arabia Pavilion
Still Inside Saudi Arabia Pavilion

Amazing. The giant screens all around can give you a migraine though. Careful.
The Ride Through China PavilionThe Ride Through China Pavilion
The Ride Through China Pavilion

It must have taken just a few minutes -- enough to rest our tired feet from all that walking. And this ride is right inside the pavilion -- amazing.
Imagine this!Imagine this!
Imagine this!

All these people lining up to get inside China Pavillion. I'd say a good 2 hour wait. Worse than a disneyland ride.
Garden Inside the China PavilionGarden Inside the China Pavilion
Garden Inside the China Pavilion

Surrounded by high-tech exhibits is this walled garden right inside the China Pavilion. What contrast! And how refreshing.
Still Inside China PavilionStill Inside China Pavilion
Still Inside China Pavilion

Temple of Heaven in Beijing........


27th May 2010

iufo@riccionehotels.com
The blog enrty have a nice presentation ,whoever enter here would like to search more there are many things to talk about it thank a lot
27th May 2010

China Expo
Very very nice. It's great you have time to relax now. Enjoy. Hope to see you Jan 2010 in Manila.
28th May 2010

Great Chinese
Very good article featuring Expo and Impressive pavillions, particularly the China.
28th May 2010

Hi
We just finished 've slept less than 36 hours in 6 nights...and having currently a glass of Australian white before hitting Shanghai night...in 3 days we managed...Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Qatar, Oman, Israel, UAE, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, North Korea, Lebanon, Iran, Vietnam, Sirya, Jordan, Yemen, Afghanistan, Maldives, Mongolia, China, Oceanic Pavilion, Africa Pavilion, South America and Central America Pavilion, Carabean pav, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, Cambodia, Brunei, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Canada, Brazil, Chili, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, Cuba, Venezuela, Hungary, Tunisia, South Africa, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monacoand UK...so missing a lot of European countries.... sadly...now it's party time and some more shopping....blog coming soon...will post it I guess either from HK or maybe Congo!
28th May 2010

wow
We spent 3 days at the expo too........but based on the "visas" on the kids' "passports", we only managed to get inside 16 pavilions. And we thought we made good! You guys are super! Bet those legs turned jelly by day's end with all that walking! Hope Leslie had a good time!
20th July 2010

great experience
Great to read about your experience in Shanghai... I am living here for 2.5 months...going to leave in 3-4 days. Wrote my experience @ "http://fredtheben.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/shanghai-trip" (link will be up by end of this week) Although I must say eating @ KFC is not really a good idea cause they are so common here, it can be tempting to replace normal food with that uinhealthy junk. At one point, I was having KFC for even breakfast and I totally regret that now :P
2nd August 2010

Did Better the 2nd time around
You are absolutely right. Did better the 2nd time i visited the World Expo. Had lunch and snacks in many of the pavilions to sample their local cuisine: Nasi Goreng at the Indonesia Pavilion, bibingka or rice cake at the Philippine Pavilion, with matching drinks with tapioca pearls, empanadas, fajitas and nachos at the Chile and Mexico Pavilion. Oh, those Greek snacks were good too!
22nd August 2010

My videos at Expo 2010
I enjoy reading your blog. It is very impressive. You pictures are very pretty. Particularly, I like the two photos inside the Saudi Arabia Pavilion. It's difficult to take a photo because the conveyor belt was moving, but you had done so well. I notice that you are using the Canon Ixus 65. I am considering to try Canon. Mine is Panasonic Lumix 65, but it is not as good as yours. I have taken videos on the Saudi Arabia Pavilion, China Pavilion, Germany Pavilion, etc. I like the Technology of Happiness at the Latvia Pavilion. Two men were flying in the wind tunnel. You may visit my blog at http://2010ShanghaiChina.blogspot.com
3rd September 2010

YOUR WRITE-UPS ARE FANTASTIC.
Will be a big help to us as well. Leaving for Expo 2010 the third week of September. Our second trip to Shanghai, first trip like in 2004 or 2005. You must be very rich.......to travel so much. Congratulations for that. Just wondering what is your profession....if don't mind. ??? Will study your travel blogs in much more detail and especially with Expo 2010...... My wife is hoping that she can buy some semi-precious stones at the Cambodia Pavillion. ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE TIME.......IN YOUR OPINION ARE THE TOP 12 OR 15...........NOT TO MISS PAVILLIONS. Best wishes to you.........and continued success. Bob and Vangie Walz .....in Las Pinas City
3rd September 2010

Top 12
@Bob Thanks for the kind words. I drew up a list in my "sequel" [diary=517346]---- which you may wish to check. I think I went over 12 favorites, but got to tell you that is really all a matter of taste. Besides, I didn't cover ALL pavilions. Enjoy. Oh, btw, rich I'm not. But I spend many hours on the Net waiting for great deals. Like my Manila-Shanghai-Manila airfare cost me only Pesos 7,000. My round trip ticket to Taiwan was only Pesos 3,900. Patience I have a lot of! :)
10th October 2010

Problems in Expo 2010
Hello, i am one of expo visitors who traveled from Africa to china just to see expo. I found many problems during my visit. - Expo is made only for Chinese people and not for all people of the world. I have reasons to say that. 99,9% of pavilion just explain everything in Chinese, they just speak Chinese and not English ( international Language). So i am going to expo and cannot understanding anything because i don't speak Chinese. Just few pavilion like of USA, where everything was translated in English. I have visited many Expo. Example of Portugal, they were speaking Portuguese ( local Language) and also English. That was a good way. - China pavilion have some serious problems. According to the Web site: http://en.expo2010.cn/ , you just buy tickets and go to . I spend 2 days in Expo. I went with my family ( me, my wife and 2 baby). I stay in queue and wait untill comes my time to go inside, so they ask me reservation ticket. I Exclaimed. Where in written in website that it need a reservation ticket to go inside pavillion? They said me i can get only in entrance at 9:00 AM. Next day i arrive 8:50, so wait in queue in fast track because of baby. 9:05 AM arrive at security checking. After that when they ask me ticket . i gave them and i asked about china pavillion reservation ticket. They said they don't have, i was finished. ( here starts problem). How it is possible, they said me to come on time and i was there on time. -- This is on of the problems wich, maybe all foreginer, have faced. So i ask to talk with manager of Expo, at entrance they said, they cannot do anything. Is better i go to talk with manager of pavillion. so at china pavillion after many discussion about the matter they alow me to go inside. Just think if someone who not make pressure, he could not see the pavillion. - in 80% of pavillion there was no representant of relative contry. Exple, at India Pavillion, just came 1 chinesse lady she talked, talked, and show us a small movie and finish. We couldnt see any indian people. Just at ground floor there were many shops of indian people full on indian items just to do BUSINESS. It shouldnt be like that. Expo is not only for business. - Many of volunteers dont speak english, but they tryed their best to guide well us. So Votting to them. - Have many many claims to do, but i have to left some for others foreigners.
24th November 2010

Wow
Thanks for your wonderful perspective! Totally awesome!

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb