Shanghai History Museum


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
January 4th 2009
Published: January 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Shanghai History Museum

I found the Shanghai History Museum by accident. Well, not exactly by accident, my guide Wendy suggested it. It is located in the pavilion in the base of the Oriental Pearl TV Tower. The museum is absolutely incredible! If you ever head to Shanghai, do not miss it! The museum has several sections. The main part of the museum is a recreation of old Shanghai and its people. This section is made to appear like the old streets and alleyways of Shanghai. Visitors wander down the streets exploring. In each shop or house are wax statues. They are beautifully done. Their expressions, poses and clothing are fantastic. The buildings are filled with antiques and show what Shanghai was like. Visitors begin in the countryside and go through the suburbs before working their way into the city. The streets are paved with cobblestones and their are fire extinguishers and lamp posts. It looks very real. The first building visitors go through is an old farmhouse where a woman is grinding soybeans. The house is filled with all of the daily articles that an old Chinese farmhouse would have. It looks very real, because it is. The next building is an old shack where a very poor old man is fixing baskets for people. His clothing is shabby and patched. The attention to detail is great. I won't describe every building encountered because I want to leave you some surprises and discoveries. The downtown area has liquor stores and shops, each filled with everything that those shops would have had in ancient times. The roads that visitors walk down are winding and so well laid out that it seems like the museum is many city blocks long. The museum has several smaller areas for exhibitions. One displays various forms of rickshaws that used to ply the streets of Shanghai. They are all antiques and beautifully restored. Another section has old cars and trolleys. It is interesting to see what the cars in China from the 1930's and 40's look like. I can't really give this museum justice by writing about it. Take my word for it and next time you are in Shanghai go check it out. You won't regret it. 


Ticket Price: 
Adults: 35rmb
Audio Tour: 30rmb plus deposit
Time Needed:
1 to 1.5 hours
Hours of Operation: 
Daily 8:30-9:30
Location:
The history museum is located in the base of
The Shanghai History MuseumThe Shanghai History MuseumThe Shanghai History Museum

Qing Dynasty era blacksmith
the Oriental Pearl TV Tower

In September 2008 I was sent on an inspection tour with China Odyssey Tours. I am the Marketing Manager of China Odyssey Tours. No one is told that I work for the company, and since I am a foreigner I can experience a tour the way our customers do. That way I get the real experience without any VIP treatment. I check on the sites, hotels, restaurants, and guides to ensure that they all meet our rigid quality guidelines.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb