Danny's Blog below.


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
September 3rd 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Danny at Shuguang Hospital, in Pudong area of Shanghai



It's Thursday Sept 4th, and I'm sitting in an internet cafe in downtown Shanghai enjoying a little peace and quiet from the bustling schedule of morning clinic and afternoon lectures. Daily, we leave the hotel promptly at 7:30 am headed for the hospital, and return at noon for lunch. Then walk next door to the lecture facilities until 4pm. After that we are free to do as we wish.
Shuguang Hospital is just outside of the city itself. It is a state of the art facility that opened in 2003. The medicine in China is fully integrated with the best of both EASTERN and WESTERN medicine. It is so integrated, in fact, that my Professor Dr. Zhang could not understand why it was not so in America. "This is not reasonable" he said, shaking his head in disbelief.

By the third day in the department of Gynecological Internal Medicine my small group of students (four of us) were conducting the Patient Intake (with a translator) and diagnosing the syndrome according to Traditional Chinese Medicine and then determining a treatment protocol. This is soooo much fun! We are seeing around 20 cases each morning with everything from profuse vaginal bleeding and irregular menses to miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies.

So far shopping in China is very favorable to the US dollar ($1 US=6.7 Chinese Yuan). For example, we went to a Fabric Market in Huangpu district. This is a three story building filled with many many tailors who will entice you to come to thier nook and cranny to get custom tailored clothes. We're talking QUALITY clothing, not just cotton shirts. Cashmere, Wool, Linen, silk, etc. These people are good at what they do! You can just point to anything in a fashion magazine and they know how to make it. I ordered a custom tailored knock-off Prada design 2-piece suit for 580 Yuan ($80), a couple of pairs of custom fitted cashmere/wool blend slacks ($20 each), and a Chinese style Cashmere winter jacket ($100). How much would these things cost in the U.S.? probably 5-6X's as much.

ok, I've go to get going. I love you all very much, and I wish you were here. However, this is a way I can share my adventures with you all. Watch for the next blog, coming up next week.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Chinese MedicineChinese Medicine
Chinese Medicine

In real time!
The BundThe Bund
The Bund

At Waterfront Palace Restaurant
Pudong Pudong
Pudong

Old versus new areas of the city are dramatic!
TailorsTailors
Tailors

getting fitted for my cashmere coat!


4th September 2008

Gotta love Chinese
How is the food? I keep hearing Chinese eat everything :)

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb