Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
June 13th 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We're now in Shanghai and although we've only seen a little of the city, I really like it. It's a vast city full of high rises, trendy shops and restaurants, expressways, mega malls and polluted air - does anyone ever get to see blue sky in China, I wonder? It feels like a much bigger city than Beijing as horns honk all the time, homeless people are seemingly greater in number, and mostly we'd rather get the metro or a taxi than attempt to walk around. Having said this, we were in a taxi this afternoon and our driver was impatient with the traffic so decided to drive on the footpath for a block instead! As one does! Someone's been watching too many car chase movies, I think!
We've seen the grand, elegant Art Deco banks and customs buildings of The Bund, and the contrasting neon lights and glitter of Pudong and East Nanjing Road. Today we wandered around the famous French Concession area, which is remarkably quiet compared with its surrounds. The streets are tree-lined and the buildings are much smaller than in the rest of the city. I can see why expats would live there as it has many cool cafes and shops. There's not much to report on other than a long stroll through shopping areas, a visit to a colourful collectibles and antique market called Dongtai Road (although apparently hard bargaining is necessary if wanting to buy - not that we did), and a long sit in a posh place for lunch called 'afternoon tea'. A lovely, lazy day. I was hoping to do some serious shopping here but the recommended shopping streets were for trendy locals and not for me e.g. cutesy, small and glittery clothes! I did buy one dress from a shop that I often peek in in Europe - Promod. Unfortunately Zara is 'coming soon' and not yet open (Dan breathed a sigh of relief)!
I must remark on a place we considered for dinner last night . . . Often in China the English is far from correct but on this particular menu they were offering 'grandmother braised with soy sauce'. Needless to say we read the menu and moved on to a restaurant offering something a bit more palatable!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb