Happy Thanksgiving


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
November 25th 2005
Published: November 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello, my fellow Americans! (to quote Richard Nixon, another traveler to China)

Well, while you all were busy digesting your Thanksgiving turkey, Gigi, Emilia and I took a trip to the Wal-Mart in Shanghai so we could be even more proud of our heritage! I mean, brilliant! Why should Wal-Mart pay all those pesky cargo charges--open up a store close to the source! You will be interested to know, however, that they use an "in-culture" marketing strategy. The pharmacy is full of herbs and Chinese medicines (like seahorses) and the supermarket--well, just look at the pictures. It's NOT your corner Wal-Mart.

After our visit to the capitalist giant, we balanced out the day with a visit to the house where Chinese communism was born. It sits around the corner from a Starbucks and across the street from a McDonald's. Mao must be turning over in his mausoleum.

Speaking of Mao's mausoleum, we're heading out in a few minutes on an overnight train to Beijing. I'll be incommunicado till Wed. Zai jian!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bird flu?Bird flu?
Bird flu?

Looks like a little bird flu doesn't scare the WalMart shoppers!
Frogs, anyone?Frogs, anyone?
Frogs, anyone?

Maybe with bird flu, this is a good alternative. Dinner, anyone? (I told you this wasn't your corner WalMart!)
Emilia's getting good with the chopsticksEmilia's getting good with the chopsticks
Emilia's getting good with the chopsticks

A delicious lunch! (I'm serious! It wasn't frog, either.)
The communist museumThe communist museum
The communist museum

Where it all began...


28th November 2005

Happy thanks giving
Do shanghainese celebrate thankgiving? Anyway, Happy thanksgiving day!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb