Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 10th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we spent the entire day touring Shanghai. It is a City in motion, with a skyline that is an eclectic mix of architecture. Shanghai is proud to have so many foriegn companies here and is on track to take over Hong Kong as the financial and commercial center of Asia. Over the past 10 years, the government has relocated more than 2 million people from downtown to the suburbs to make space for new companies. There are plans to completely move all the residents still living in 'old houses', houses that are not a new high rise apartment building, out of downtown in the coming years. When you are relocated by the government, you have two choices, money - which is not enough to relocate to an apartment downtown, or you may choose to take an apartment in the suburb provided by the Government. Around 95% take the apartment.

We first toured the Jade Temple which is very famous for having escaped destruction when many of the temples were destroyed under the direction of Chairman Mao, who did not care for religion. This temple escaped that fate by covering all of the budha's faces with pictures of Mao, whose
Jade TempleJade TempleJade Temple

The ribbons have requests written on them.
picture could not be destroyed. The temple was then closed for many years, but has now reopened. It is a very interesting place, and I truly enjoyed people watching there. When we first arrived, there was a ceremony taking place to bless a new car that had been purchased.

After that, we toured 'China Town' (old China) and went to a tea room to have a ceremonial tea. It was very interesting and really fun. The tea was good too. Then we went to the Bund district (river's edge) which is the prime location for international companies to build right now. It is a beautiful view. The people of Shanghai call it Shanghai's Manhatten. In Beijing, they call Shanhai China's New York.

Shanghai, though similiar in many ways to Beijing, does not feel so confused to me. They have a goal, a direction, and are moving forward at a very fast pace. But it does not seem so tragic to me for some reason.

Today we will tour a water villiage and a silk factory. Then tomorrow I will come home. I have enjoyed my trip, but I am ready to go home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Boy praying at Jade templeBoy praying at Jade temple
Boy praying at Jade temple

I asked his mom if I could take his picture - she was very pleased! Haha - he was so adorable, I could not help it.
Laundry DayLaundry Day
Laundry Day

Our tour guide in Shanghai - Christine - says that though almost everyone can afford a dryer, nobody wants one. They prefer the sunshine, so every day they see the sun is laundry day. It is very peculiar, to drive down the streets and see everyone hanging their laundry wherever they can find space.
Making way for newMaking way for new
Making way for new

I have no idea what this family is doing. They were walking around this site where a building had been torn down looking for things in the rubble...it seems terribly tragic to me somehow, but that could be my imagination.


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb