Squid Goop, Paris Hilton, and The Mural


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
November 24th 2007
Published: November 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone.

So after getting on the MagLev train that can reach 500 km/hr, we were zoomed over to downtown Shanghai where Tyler met us at the station. It was great to see one of our other Duke friends, and it was even crazier to realize how ridiculously different China was from Australia. I mean, I really don't know how to describe it.

Initial culture impressions:
- Spitting. Thought it was only for hillbillies that chew tobacco? Nope. Everyone does. Everyone. If the President of China walked by, I would be floored if he didn't judge it necessary to make the "HAAAAAAAWWWWKKK" noise and discharge whatever happened to be in his mouth. One of the first things I saw as people got off the plane was everyone spit their brains out at the general direction of the nearest trash can. At least their aim was pretty on target at the airport, which I can not say is the case in the streets.

- Lines....nah. Imagine this: you're in America in a club, waiting in line to get a drink at the bar. All of a sudden, some guy that's a foot and a half shorter than you are shoves through to get to the front of the line and just starts screaming at the bartender to get a drink. Now imagine that instead of just one person, it's everyone. And you are the only one that cares. This is the case for every line - restaraunts, busses, bathrooms, anything. However, Raf and I are at a distinct advantage since we're 6'2". Now we're onto them. We're throwin' 'bows.

- Economy. 25 american cents for a liter of beer? Alright...$3 for a 45 minute cab ride? OK. $13 for an all you can drink bar? Sign me up. Afraid to wear flip-flops on the street? Yep. Coming from Australia, it never really ceases to astound me.

So since it was Raf's, Tyler's, and my first Thanksgiving away from home, we commiserated together and had crazy-delicious dinner for pennies. Stuffed and content, we went back to Tyler's apartment where Raf and I had a chance to shower for the first time in two days.

The next day, we woke up on the late side and went to this place called (or rather pronounced) Chi-poo-loo. There we were surrounded by thousands of vendors that were very intent on selling us knock-off Nike, Levi, North Face, Rolex, and Movado. I've been in my fair share of markets around the world, but these people were especially....tenacious. If you were to turn out your pockets, they would unddoubtedly give you "special price" for your shoelaces. It was nuts.

Tyler told us that we could get custom made suits for really cheap at the local fabric market, so I decided to get my first suit ever, China style. We pick them up Wednesday, and I'm actually excited to see what they look like.

The rest of the day was spent meeting other students in Tyler's program. Afterwards we were introduced to previously-mentioned all you can drink bar. That's a whole other story, but it is safe to say that a good time was had by all.

Today we are planning on picking Dan up at the airport and taking a closer look at downton Shanghai.

Hope everyone is doing well and had a great Thanksgiving.

-Kevin


Advertisement



26th November 2007

shanghai
Definition: 1. trick or force to do something: to trick or force somebody to do something or go somewhere 2. force into naval service: to recruit somebody forcibly into a navy I'll bet you guys can explain how "shanghai" got the above definition. Kevin - be sure to tell the natives you're already signed up with the Air Force.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb