cocktails, parks and a bit of art


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
October 25th 2007
Published: October 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We did it at last. Made it up to the Cloud Nine bar, the highest bar in the world on the 87th floor of the Jinmao Tower! Getting up there in the lift was nerve racking, but once up there it feels very secure. You're so far up that the ground is kind of an abstract idea, like in an aeroplane. I even managed to get to within a foot of the floor to ceiling window!

The other weekend we decided to check out North Shanghai. Getting there was more difficult than it should've been. Shanghai is changing so fast that my guidebook is already out of date. Its metro map is way behind the times! After wandering up and down the street trying to find the (non existent) 'light transit railway' station we eventually figured out that it has been streamlined with the metro. Once there we wandered around the very noisy and vibrant Lu Xun Park. Numerous singers compete with each other along with the accordion players. Crowds gather around and some practice ballroom dancing. If that's not your thing then how about being zipped up in an inflatable ball and tossed out onto the lake or playing war in a miniature gun-boat.
Just down the road from the park is Duolun Road where several of China's most famous writers used to live. It's pedestrianised so provides some relief from the traffic noise - the Chinese like to honk their horns.. lots.... Duolun Road is lined with antique shops, book shops, galleries, teahouses and cafes. We stopped off at the Old Film Cafe for a drink and a waffle (I wanted the cake, but she insisted I try the waffle) and watched the end of an old black & white Chinese vampire film and the start of a really bad German period drama.

We also went to a really fun art exhibition called Animamix Biennial at MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) in Renmin Park. Lots of quirky contemporary art. The roof top cafe has great views and is quite quiet (I'm starting to take mental notes of quiet places!). Quiet up until one of the glass table tops collapsed right next to us. I got a tiny cut on my ankle and had emergency first aid administered in the form of a red dye. Drinks were on the house!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb