Fever


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
September 29th 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After making the effort to get up for breakfast, Iz and I soon realised we weren’t well enough to go traipsing around Shanghai. We decided on staying put for the day, as it was only a half day of touring, and boy did we make the right decision.

The whole day, we lay in bed, with the shakes and shivers, suffering from the flu. I don’t remember Iz being so sick in a long time ( I had experienced this kind of flu earlier in the year) - so much for the Flu Shot. It wasn’t until 1:00pm that we finally made the effort to get out of bed, and that was only to walk to the pharmacy and get some medicine.

From what we glimpsed on our short walk, Shanghai seems like an amazing city - very vibrant and young. I wouldn’t return to the other areas of China we have already been to, but I would consider coming back to Shanghai - because it does seem so exciting, and because we haven’t seen any of it (as we’ve been in bed the whole time)!

Our fevers didn’t stop the whole day and we coughed and spluttered through the afternoon. At 6:00pm it was time to get out of bed, and make the effort to ready ourselves for the goodbye dinner. The shower felt amazing, and although we weren’t feeling the best, it was time to rejoin our tour group for the last time.

Most people managed to make it to the dinner - many seemed to be suffering the same symptoms as us. Dinner was Western Style, but neither of us were that hungry. After the three courses it was time for some speeches, and being the only Aussies, we felt obligated to say a little something.

Perhaps, under better conditions, we could have sang Waltzing Matilda, or taught our group some strine, but given the circumstances, neither of us were up for much, It was wonderful to have the opportunity to thank our fellow tourers though - who have been an amazing bunch! We feel as though we have ended our journey where we started - in the States.

The people we’d met during the last 9 days have been so caring and kind, always wondering how we were feeling, which unfortunately for us, wasn‘t the best. I think we definitely have a few places we can stay when we go back to the StatesJ There was time for some more speeches, and some Karaoke, before it was time for the real goodbyes. China has been such a different country from anywhere else we have been - the history and tradition remains, but the people are ready for a new future. As a group, I think we have all learnt so much, and have a lot of hope for these people, for their future.

It’s hard to imagine we have been away from home for 3 months now, and even harder to believe that we’re finally heading home! This trip has been unbelievable - we have travelled so far, to incredible places, and met so many fabulous people. Travelling definitely opens your eyes to new and wonderful experiences, changes your beliefs about people and their country, and above all, teaches you to appreciate what you have. Thanks for reading our blogs guys - we hope you’ve been able to share in all we’ve experienced! Over and out…for now xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb