Bemuzed and bewildered


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
March 24th 2007
Published: March 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Okay, long time no blog which, it seems to some people, was not long enough.
Well folks, it seems as though several people's feathers have been ruffled by the fact that we didn't exactly enjoy India. My sincere apologies for having an opinion but our experiences were as written and you don't have to 'listen to people like me whine'. Just get a life and read something else. (It does seem that an equal number of people have had a good laugh and much empathy for our struggles anyway).

For those of you to whom this blog is intended I suppose I should mention our trials in China.
Ah, god bless the Chinese. They certainly know how to run a country (if not how to fillet a chicken). Shanghai is one seriously beautiful city although it was bitterly cold when we were there. We spent a couple of days around the bund, took a boat ride up the Huangpu river and spent a good hour attempting to purchase a train ticket on to Wuhan. The lack of English in China is quite disconcerting at times but the sense of achievement when that train ticket is finally bought is tangible (especially if you manage to get the correct destination, date and class!).
The English language thing is extremely interesting actually. Foreigners are reasonably rare in China and are usually met with choruses of 'Hello' followed by giggles as you walk down the street. The younger generation often like to practice their English on you too which leads to many a probing conversation about ones personal life.
After Shanghai and a soft sleeper journey we arrived in Wuhan (actually a city made up of the towns of Wuchang, Hankou and Hanyang) on the Han and Yangtze rivers. We were told to stay at the medical college (as it was still the holidays) but the language barrier bit us again and it took a long time to arrange a room for three for three nights (Linz's stick figure drawing skills came to the fore).
During our time there we took in the Yellow Crane Tower, East lake and KFC (sorry) before another sleeper train journey took us on to Xi'an (and siberian temperatures).

Hopefully there was nothing too contentious in this blog but random comments are always happily deleted.

Take care folks and stay tuned for the rest of China.

Bri and Linz

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb