Tong Li


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
January 27th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

two weeks ago, Mike, Alyssa and I took a 2 hour bus ride out to Tong Li, one of the canal towns outside Shanghai. We joined a Chinese "tour," which didn't lead us around but provided us bus transportation to the town, entry to the town, and entry to a variety of gardens and museums. It was very pretty and a nice break from busy Shanghai. We wandered around, got some food, visited some gardens and the Chinese Sex Museum! That was.....interesting. It was orignially in Shanghai, but Lonely Planet says it was forced out. (lonely planet also said tacos were cheap. It lied.) The building and gardens of the museum used to be a girls' school. How appropriate.
Another interesting sight was an old woman on a boat who had about 6 osprey that she threw into the water so that they would catch fish. She's thump them on the butt and they'ed dive into the water, and when they came up again she'd drag them back onto the boat, and make them regurgitate (spelling?) the fish they had just caught. kind of weird. I took a video, I hope it's clear enough.
In one of the gardens there was a bride and groom taking pictures, which added to the atmosphere. There was a small building on the side of the pond in which a woman was playing a guqin, which is a traditional Chinese stringed instrument that you play kind of like a harp. Check out the video.
Anyway, the town was very nice and Mike and I got a little camera trigger happy, so there are LOTS of photos, many of them kind of random. So please excuse the "artsy" photos. I like them now, maybe I'll look at them in six months and think "why oh why did I think those were good." Anyway, enjoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Alyssa's breathAlyssa's breath
Alyssa's breath

We wandered around this old house that apparently had 40 rooms. We didn't count. Or see them all. It was cold everywhere; in every museum, restuarant and store. The warmest spot was in the sun.


8th February 2007

i think you should stick to photographing the charming Dongying country side.
10th February 2007

The gargoyle thing you're petting looks so happy!!! yay for Carrie hugs
12th February 2007

pretty
Gorgeous, Carrie! (your pictures are as pretty as a pretty pretty princess). Did you walk everwhere or boat everywhere?

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb