Terracotta Worriers Man


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
June 30th 2006
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Didnt do much on the 29/06 bummed around really with Rach, Paul and Kenton. Had Pizza Hut and Paul wet himself with his water bottle. V funny story.

30/06/06 I ahd been looking forward to this. The Terracotta Worriers. I though this would be my highlight of the whole trip and it very nearly was. So at 8am after quite a boozy night out we set of for the Terracotta worriers on a public bus, number 306 from Xi'an train station. Not too bad though was about a hours transfer and costs 7 kwai. You first watch areally corny film (in Chinese) about the discovery and what they think was the making of them. You then go down into the pits where they have been excuvated. This is honestly a truly amazing sight, What makes the experience even m,ore amazing is that these statues are over 2000years old and were only discovered in 1974 by a lonley farmer and not one person knew anything about them at the time of discovery.
You can see where the statues are still being put back together piece by piece. What I though was the best part is that they have found around 3000 figures of men, horses, water animals and horse drwn carts and they are still finding more, there could be over 6000 altogether. Some statues are still laying in the exact spot that they landed in 2000 years ago. It rewlly is worth a visit. The only thing wrong with it is that it is sucha tourist site and ther are hundreds upon hundreds of people.

Arriving back at the hotel we then had to check out and I dont even think I can bring myself to say it, we had to get on another over night train to Shanghai, but this train was 16 hours. I should have been better this time and use to the hundreds of people crammed on and the really stinky toilets. But really you can not get used to them. Actually was'nt too bad this time as we all had quite a few beers and played cards and chatting for hours. I actually got some sleep, which was a bonus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Terracotta WorriersTerracotta Worriers
Terracotta Worriers

Still laying where they were knocked over 2000 years ago!!!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb