Xi'an Terra Cotta Warrior Day. And Awwwww The lights in the room came on at 5AM!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
October 30th 2010
Published: October 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

15 Tier Pagoda15 Tier Pagoda15 Tier Pagoda

An earthquake toppled the top of this pagoda and left it with only 11 tiers. The story continues and it is said that it actually split in half in another earthquake and rejoined again in another one!
We are still on Montreal time and waking up in the middle of the night. The wife fell asleep finally at 4:30AM with a sigh of relief. BUT THEN: All the lights came on at the same time. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! We both woke up and were awake for good. Same thing happened in all the rooms. needless to say we all complained, and we each found a bottle of Cabernet Merlot Wolf Bass Australian Wine 2006 when we arrived tonight.

The day started out well. We visited a 15 teir Pagoda that was cut down to 11 tiers as a result of an earthquake way back when.. While there we had fun riding cement horses, ringing large bells, and frolicking round. By the way the cement horses were really safe. They did not move much!

We next left towards where we intended to go which was the Terra Cotta Warriors, but first we made a stop at a famous Spa for the King and his Concubine. The story goes that the Comcubine wrote a song of sorrow. Well I was happy there, and took some great pics. Nothing sorrowful. Lunch came next which was a 10 dish meal. These little Asians including my wife can really put the food away.

Terra Cotta Warrior time finally. The people. Oh the people. Crowded as you can ever believe. Lotsa juggling around an in between people to get the best views. I admit that it was well thought out, but I think that there musta been 200,000 people today. These life size statues are very impressive. World heritage and all that.
It was sureal, to be standing there drinking it all in. You read about it. You see pictures but visually you are humbled, because if you can imagine the workmanship and dedication these people had 1000's of years ago, it is awe inspiring.

Flashback to yesterdays blog in which I mentioned all the construction happening at once.

As we were leaving we walked down about a kilometre to the bus. As we were walking, hundreds of street hawkers were all selling the same things. It was sad to see that they were pinning their hopes on us buying something. What can I buy? If they make 7 CDN in sales a day, I would be surprised.

Finished the day off by going to a dinner club and watched
Riding a Cement HorseRiding a Cement HorseRiding a Cement Horse

Got nowhere fast!
a Chinese Dynasty performance. In it were dancers doing what they call a long sleeve dance. We also were treated to some Monks performing some traditional tumbling while telling a story of a Monk on a lifelong trek and back to his beginnings. Etc...

Tomorrow we are flying to the Yangtse River to hit the Cruise for 3 days. Problem will be we will be incommunicado until we hit dry land. I will catch up then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The Big DigThe Big Dig
The Big Dig

There are about 40,000 swords and spears that are not represented yet. This is a continued work in progress.


30th October 2010

jimmy
the Terra Cottas are amazing!!!

Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb