Xian Terracotta Warriors and Ancient Capital Tour


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
May 9th 2010
Published: May 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Terracotta Warriors Terracotta Warriors Terracotta Warriors

Terracotta Warriors in military formation.
The terracotta warriors was ordered constructed by Qin Dynasty emperor Qin Shi Huang (first Emperor of China after unifying the country) as it was then a common practice for emperors to built their own mausoleum when they are alive. It was completed in 210 BC and discovered in March 1974 when a group of farmers were digging a well. The tour guide told an interesting story of how it was discovered.

The farmers living around the area has a folktale past down from generation that there a spirits underground on the land they are farming and they better not offend the spirits. When some clay pieces when found by the group of farmers, one of them recognized that it may be extraordinary ones so he went to inform the official departments. However, he was prevented from entering the village when he came back as the villagers were worried that he has offended the spirits. The experts that came then estimated they can complete the excavation in 1 year. It turn out that they had continued for 10 years and the wonders of the terracotta warriors presented to the world.

The main reason for going to ancient capital Xian is
Terracotta Warriors Terracotta Warriors Terracotta Warriors

terracotta warrior on display whose side view resembles the shape of Shaanxi province!
to see the Terra-cotta Warriors. However, there are also plenty of other historical attractions to see in this city which is also the starting point of the Silk Road. Tang dynasty is the golden age of Chinese civilization and Xian as their imperial capital was one of the largest city in the world and that time.

On the first day, we visited the Forest of Stone Steles. The large number of standing stone steles makes them look like trees in a forest and thus its name.

On the next day, we arranged for a taxi driver to bring us to see the Terracotta Warriors 50km away from Xian. Along the way, we visited the Huaqing hot Spring. This was a royal palace used from the Qin to Tang dynasty and where one of the four Chinese beauties Yang Guifei had her bath. It was also at this place where the December 1936 “Xian Incident” occurred. The Nationalist leader Chiang Kai shek was kidnapped here by Marshal Zhang Xueliang while he was having his holidays and forced to agree to fight the Japanese alongside the communist Chinese.

The terracotta warriors museum has 3 excavated pits and a museum on display. The 1st and 2nd pits are the main draw where the warriors are in military formation. The 3rd pit has fewer warriors and experts think that it is a command post. The museum display the history, excavated items and has an interesting terracotta warrior on display whose side view resembles the shape of Shanxi province!

Before going back to the city, there is the Qin shi Huang mausoleum. It is a manmade hill and the emperor still lies beneath it as the mausoleum remains not excavated yet.

Finally, on the last day, we toured around the city visiting the ancient Big Wild Goose Pagoda built in 652 to house the Buddhism text brought back by monk Xuanzang and the xian city walls - one of the most complete remaining city wall in China.

Note: The contents (text and photos) of this article remain the copyright of the Author, Jenny. Under no circumstances should the photos or text be used without the express written permission of the Author. Please contact the Author by leaving a message if you wish to use or publish photos or text from this article.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Terracotta Warriors Terracotta Warriors
Terracotta Warriors

Terracotta Warriors in military format.
Terracotta WarriorsTerracotta Warriors
Terracotta Warriors

Singapore's former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew was the first oversee leader to visit the museum.
Terracotta Warriors Terracotta Warriors
Terracotta Warriors

Pit 1 building
Forest of Stone StelesForest of Stone Steles
Forest of Stone Steles

Chinese architectural design at the entrance
Forest of Stone StelesForest of Stone Steles
Forest of Stone Steles

Pavilion in the museum
Forest of Stone StelesForest of Stone Steles
Forest of Stone Steles

These are ancient parking lots. The officials' horses are tied to the stone post.
Huaqing Hot SpringHuaqing Hot Spring
Huaqing Hot Spring

Building used by former Nationalist leader Chiang Kai shek on display
Qin Shi Huang mausoleumQin Shi Huang mausoleum
Qin Shi Huang mausoleum

Steps leading to the mademade hill top
Qin Shi Huang mausoleumQin Shi Huang mausoleum
Qin Shi Huang mausoleum

From from the top of the manmade hill.
Xian City WallXian City Wall
Xian City Wall

One of the most complete city wall remaining in China


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb