Shenyang and Benxi World Longest Underground River Cave


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Liaoning » Shenyang
May 15th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Shenyang Imperial Palace Shenyang Imperial Palace Shenyang Imperial Palace

Hall with Emperor's Throne.
We had a 4 days holiday in historic city Shenyang. It was a relaxing holiday as the attractions are all within the city area. However, the main reason for this trip is to visit Benxi Cave in Benxi city about 1.5 hours away.

In 1625, Qing dynasty’s first Emperor Nuerhachi made Shenyang city his capital. We visited his imperial palace on the first day. The palace together with the one in Beijing is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage site. The Shenyang Imperial Palace was used by the imperial family till their conquest of China in 1644. This palace is much smaller than the imperial palace in Bejing. The architectural is a combination of Chinese and Manchu styles.

The Hall of Great Affairs is where the emperor ascends the throne, held his “meeting” and review “parades”. It has pavilions on either side of it. The pavilions represent the different “department” of the imperial government. Another interesting area is the Qingning palace where there are several houses which was the living quarters for the second emperor’s concubines. The Phoenix Tower is the highest structure in the entire palace. There is also a Wen Su Pavilion where priceless book where formerly kept. The roof has a unique black colour to symbolize water to prevent fire from destroying the books.

Next was a visit to 9.18 museum. The museum was built on the location where the Japanese army staged an incident on 18 Sept 1931 and started the invasion and occupation of Northeast China till end of WWII. The museum tells the story of the Japanese War with China and the suffering by the Chinese during this period.

On the next day, we booked a taxi to bring us to Benxi to visit the Benxi Cave. This cave has the world longest underground river discovered so far. The entrance of the cave is a semi circle shape and you walk in to the pier to take a 40 minutes boat ride to view the interior.

The last day was a visit to World Heritage Site Fuling Mausoleum. Nurhachi (1559-1626) and his empress were buried. The Mausoleum has three sections. The first section is the entrance and a path way with stone carvings on either side. It leads to the second section scared way with 108 steps. It leads to a stele pavilion built in 1688 to record the good
Shenyang Imperial Palace Shenyang Imperial Palace Shenyang Imperial Palace

The Hall of Great Affairs. The design originate from the nomad's tent.
deeds of the emperor. The final section is here the tomb lies and has a city design complete with tower and walls.

Our last stop was a visit to the local wine museum called Laolongtou. This is the first wine museum in Northeast China.


Note: The contents (text and photos) of this article remain the copyright of the Author, Jenny. Under no circumstances should the photos or text be used without the express written permission of the Author. Please contact the Author by leaving a message if you wish to use or publish photos or text from this article.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

9.18 museum9.18 museum
9.18 museum

The facade of the museum is in the shape of a diary that recorded the event on that day-18 Sept 1931.
Shenyang Imperial Palace Shenyang Imperial Palace
Shenyang Imperial Palace

Pavilions on either side of The Hall of Great Affairs.
Shenyang Imperial Palace Shenyang Imperial Palace
Shenyang Imperial Palace

Qingning palace with one of the concubine's living quarters.
Shenyang Imperial Palace Shenyang Imperial Palace
Shenyang Imperial Palace

Phoenix Tower - the highest structure in the entire palace
Shenyang Imperial Palace Shenyang Imperial Palace
Shenyang Imperial Palace

Wen Su Pavilion where priceless book were formerly kept. The roof has a unique black colour to symbolize water to prevent fire from destroying the books.
9.18 Museum9.18 Museum
9.18 Museum

Hope for peace.
Benxi CaveBenxi Cave
Benxi Cave

Entrance to cave.
Benxi CaveBenxi Cave
Benxi Cave

Underground river. Visitors waiting for boat on the right.
Benxi CaveBenxi Cave
Benxi Cave

View inside the cave.
Benxi CaveBenxi Cave
Benxi Cave

Pier inside cave.
Laolongtou Wine MuseumLaolongtou Wine Museum
Laolongtou Wine Museum

Entrance to Laulongtou Wine Company
Laolongtou Wine MuseumLaolongtou Wine Museum
Laolongtou Wine Museum

Wine bottles on display
Fuling MausoleumFuling Mausoleum
Fuling Mausoleum

stone carving along the first section of the mausoleum.
Fuling MausoleumFuling Mausoleum
Fuling Mausoleum

Scared way with 108 steps
Fuling MausoleumFuling Mausoleum
Fuling Mausoleum

The final section of the mausoleum complete with city walls and towers.
Fuling MausoleumFuling Mausoleum
Fuling Mausoleum

The final section of the mausoleum complete with city walls and towers.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb