Good food, great sights, lots of driving...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
August 3rd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Birthday Cake!Birthday Cake!Birthday Cake!

The group has celebrated each person's birthday so far. We've had three. The cakes are so beautiful. Meghan is trying to convince a bakery to make chocolate cake but, well.....
Hello!

So, here we are again. Today we are slowly killing ourselves due to second hand smoke. We hope you all appreciate it!

We continue to have good food and amazing experiences. We have posted a bunch of pictures with some short descriptions. It is very hard to find and choose the rights photos to post! Between us we have been taking more than 100 photos a day...

Here's a list of our "most useful" items so far! ;-)

1. Toilet Paper. It's a must have in every single bag and pocket. We think this is why the men here carry man-purses... They have to have someplace to put the TP!

2. Sewing kit. We have put back on several buttons and fixed Meghan's umbrella... Seriously, why can't the factories do a better job with the buttons?? We aren't too far away. Maybe we could have a word with them....

3. Rehydration tables. Kwesi has used several as he spends his days sopping in his wet shirt from the sweat. The colour of his shirt changes as soon as he hits the outside! Meghan is thining of harvesting salt off of Kwesi.

4. Flip
Gaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in Zhongwei

Entrance to the temple area. Here there were areas for "heaven" and for "hell"!
flops. Oooeeeewww. Does that cover it?

5. Medical kit. We are down at least 20 bandaids by now and half a tube of Polysporin! Lucky the diarrhea pills are still in their package... Kwesi and I have both come close to using the pills but have managed so far to get better quickly!

6. Books. It's been a fast paced tour but we have spent many hours in the bus... Thankfully we both brought more books than was reasonble! Thousands of pages have been read in the past couple of weeks.

7. Washing soap. I don't think anyone would believe how much soap we have gone through so far! Kwesi and Meghan spend time everynight washing clothes. The heat means sweat and when we peel our clothes off at night, oofff, they stink!

8. Purell. Our friend. Sometimes we feel the need to clean our hands just because the air smells so bad!

9. Glue stick. Stamps aren't the "lick and stick" type here! Thank goodness for the $0.49 mini glue stick.

10. Personal cards. A real winner. We even put our picture on the back! Really though, who could forget us? ;-)
Gaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in Zhongwei

Very pretty roofs at this temple... We did not stay in this town but just stopped here to take a look at the temple.

That's it for now! We have smoked a pack of cigarettes and feel terrible... We don't know when we will next find an Internet cafe (as we are heading to the desert!) but we always make an effort! We can write the Chinese character for Internet so we should be set. ;-)

Thanks so much for all the notes and emails. We love reading the comments as it connects us to home...

Meghan and Kwesi. In Xian.





Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Gaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in Zhongwei
Gaomiou Temple in Zhongwei

Rub the tummy for good luck!
Gaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in Zhongwei
Gaomiou Temple in Zhongwei

Kwesi exchanging a stare for a portrait!
Gaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in Zhongwei
Gaomiou Temple in Zhongwei

Pretty girl who was caught sizing Kwesi up.
Gaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in Zhongwei
Gaomiou Temple in Zhongwei

Smoking guy. Need we say more?
Gaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in Zhongwei
Gaomiou Temple in Zhongwei

We have several photos of this guy...
Gaomiou Temple in ZhongweiGaomiou Temple in Zhongwei
Gaomiou Temple in Zhongwei

This happens to Kwesi more than he dares to say... Sometimes people touch him to see if the colour comes off.
Flat TireFlat Tire
Flat Tire

Ooohhhh Caprise... This happened on our way to Baotou from Datong.
Bin Country Great Budhist TempleBin Country Great Budhist Temple
Bin Country Great Budhist Temple

We are not sure of the name of the town where this temple is but it had great signs!
Bin Country Great Budhist TempleBin Country Great Budhist Temple
Bin Country Great Budhist Temple

3rd largest Budha in China! And, here is Kwesi holding up his head. ;-)
Kongtong Shan TemplesKongtong Shan Temples
Kongtong Shan Temples

Self-Portrait!
Kongtong Shan TemplesKongtong Shan Temples
Kongtong Shan Temples

It was a foggy and rainy day. We thought this tree said it all!
Kongtong Shan TemplesKongtong Shan Temples
Kongtong Shan Temples

Wow. These were pearched on top of the mountains! It was a very foggy day and somewhat surreal.
Kongtong Shan TemplesKongtong Shan Temples
Kongtong Shan Temples

City of Heaven temple.


3rd August 2008

Spectacular
Loving the narrative and photographs guys! Breathtaking pictures Kwesi, so glad to see you able to put your newly acquired skills to good use on this incredible trip...and I am really enjoying the stories you have to tell and the information you have to give. Looking forward to the next update!
3rd August 2008

Awesome Pics
Meghan, Awesome pics, as usual. I don't know which I like better - the profiles of all the locals, or your shots of all the temples!
4th August 2008

Your travel
Hi Meghan and Kwensi, From your photos post.. you must be enjoy so much in China. Hope you still have the energy for the rest of several months... I am jealous now !
4th August 2008

Meghan! Your trip looks wonderful =) Love the pictures and the commentary.. Hope you and Kwesi have a great day
6th August 2008

Wanderlust
Hello you two! I am glad that you packed your sense of humour along with all the useful items - very funny comments - keep enjoying yourselfs and sharing the great fun you are having with those of us back home :)
7th August 2008

You guys rock!
Thanks for the wonderful pictures and comments. We enjoyed it very much so. Pack your smiles and be safe. It is snowing in Calgary - just kidding. :)
14th August 2008

vicarious thrills
Hey there Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful adventure!! Life here is so uneventful here compared to your amazing trip. Take care, amazing pictures! Jessica
2nd September 2008

Just checking up on you!
Hi kids - still loving sharing your experiences! Time is flying isn't it! Already September. Start up party is scheduled for Oct 25 sad that you won't be here. Not much going on, summer is clearly over as the weather turned this long weekend. I just returned from site after the new benefits plan roll out. Then comes comp and yearend - my last thank god. Take care of yourselves - let me know if you need anything - like TP for your bungholios...love ya! MJ and Dirk

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb