Happy 60th Birthday China!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
October 16th 2009
Published: November 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Moslem Quarter



This is October 1st 2009, the 60th anniversary of the The People's Republic of China. So what better way to spend the day than watching the parade on TV and then go shopping. Who would have thought every one else would have the same idea?

There's not much to tell of the day other than we have the best time. Joel and Anna joined us too before they were to leave by train to Chengdu. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

So the day went like this. A slow rise because it was a big day at Huashan the day before. A great brekky in the hostel with the wide screeen TV. We sat for a couple of hours watching the parade.

Around lunch time we headed to the Moslem Quarter which is NW of the Drum Tower. We were there for perhaps 5 hours. It was the best market I have seen in this country to date. The smells, the sounds, the colours were fantastic. And they actually had nice things you'd want to buy.

Sheryl had to buy another backpack for her souvenirs. It was a great day which was only tainted by the loss of her wallet to the hands of a very skilled pickpocket, on a crowded underground escalator. Bugger! Not much in the wallet thank goodness but an inconvenience nonetheless.

Tomorrow, we're off to Luoyang by train.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

It's getting crowded now.It's getting crowded now.
It's getting crowded now.

I took this pic to try find Lisa. A true shopper, stopping at every stand.


Tot: 0.311s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb