Backdoor Banditry, and the Source of the Mekong


Advertisement
Asia » China » Qinghai
May 20th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Beginnings of Adventure It was a chilly evening. The music was slightly muted, soft and relaxing, the Migratory Bird Cafe was almost empty. I noted that unlike what normally passed for music in Deqin (constantly playing "Message in a Bottle" was ok at first but fast grew to be annoying) the strains of a passable 60's Jazz number were to be heard. After the pretty sunset I had moved into the c... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 86, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




22nd May 2007

So you didn’t get a single picture of a monk with ducky on their head? I’m disappointed…
22nd May 2007

WOW
Mate, when u publish all your blogs in a book (and i think you should) let me know, so I can get a copy. Keep up the great writing !!
23rd May 2007

t(¦
¯Œã>„É—ñ;͗ï Translation; I've just left Quinhai and i loved reading your stories. I didn;t see many a white face at all. In fact only one. It's an amazing place as you and very few others are fortunate enough to appreciate.
29th May 2007

Destinations are for tourists
Very true, when youre in a one road town in Qinghai, you do wonder "why am I here". You're idea of the river as a theme of your trip almost is a great one, what a wonderful idea of the varying people and events which surround that river as it runs through Asia. To address three points; 1)Kangding has a nightclub (not sure if you know this or not), we visited on what must have been nappy night, lots of friendly high school kids. 2)Your guide in Dege, had the same one, that really all he says 3) Really understand when you describe trying to get a departure time or destination. You say you speak mandarin. It's often not the language, just the complete cultural chasm- western logic is rarely understood!
27th December 2009

serxu to yushu
i'm amazed at your comment " a short bus ride" from serxu to yushu. I did this journey in the other direction in 1997. i did it by bike, because there was no traffic over the pass - the road tailed off on the way up and i only saw one army jeep in the two days it took me to do the crossing. i enjoyed reading your account - brought back some good memories.
12th August 2010

Fantastic Writing
I just wanted to leave a comment noting that I thoroughly enjoyed your blog. It is not often that a travel blog is so informative and engagingly written, so as Kiwi Steve noted some time ago, please keep me in the loop when you publish a book.
28th August 2010
Xinlu Hai's Far Shore

Xin luhai, tibet
This is a best place to mediatate and to enjoy the beauty of the nature! It is the most memorable place that I ever forget!!!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb