Remembering the scene...Dawukou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Ningxia » Yinchuan
May 11th 2012
Published: May 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

BalconyBalconyBalcony

I enjoyed this view when the weather was good!
September 19, 2006

Night & Day

Welcome back! Please watch your head- the door to the balcony was not made for tall people! At this point you, my reader, may be wondering, “What does night and day have to do with any balcony?” Keep reading and I will tell you.1
While the weather is nice I have decided to show you the view which, depending on the time, can be the difference between night and day. While this city is charming, in its own way, air quality can certainly affect the morning view. This is because Dawukou is still a coal mining town and in a desert where the wind may or may not blow regularly. When after a rain or windy night, the view in the morning can be exhilarating.
The day time view is best when the sun has passed over the tops of the higher buildings. These buildings, some small others skyscrapers, fill one’s view at first. A few of them are pleasant to the eye while others need some work. The latter buildings will more than likely be demolished and new buildings will be built in their place. Now think about this before you express any sympathy for the soon to be departed buildings. The ‘American Way’ of doing things is fixing up stuff. The house I lived in for nearly 10 years is an example of that. I know because I helped to paint the house and replace the roof of the garage this past summer. This is not the United States, however, this is China. There is no right or wrong to how they treat their buildings because this is their land. After all, they have been doing things the Chinese way for thousands of years and one cannot expect them to change at the drop of a hat.
While the buildings stretch as far as the eye can see, there is another sight, a very green park. This park is located on the opposite of the gate of my community and is certainly a welcomed sight in this desert city. In the morning time it is not unusual to see people walking around the park or doing light exercises. Other times one can see children playing in this park which is certainly a joy to see. More sights include the workers who may be pulling weeds, trimming trees or planting flowers.
In essences this park is to Dawukou what Central Park is to New York City. There are paths for strolling along and others for running in. What ever the reason for coming to this park may be, one should take a notice at the marigold flowers which are bright and yellow and compliment the greenery.
Ok, remember we are still on the balcony, where the view at night time is exhilarating yet peaceful. While the greenery of the park cannot be seen the lights of the buildings can be. They are not quite as bright as Shanghai, or fewer in number than Watertown (where I lived), but they give Dawukou character.
While one can admire the lights the stars are equally impressive. One of the benefits of living in China (around the 30th parallel) is that I am closer to the north than in Wisconsin (at about the 43 parallel). At this point I should comment that this newsletter will become more subjective than objective. This is thanks to Astronomy (not astrology) which I took my very first semester of college.
During September and October, Jupiter and Saturn are easily seen.2 Only when the moon is full are the stars difficult to see because of light pollution.3 Other constellations include Cassiopeia, Orion and the Dippers. I cannot wait until October break when I plan to scale the highest mountain to do some serious star gazing!
Well, I hope that you have enjoyed this brief view from my balcony. Time can only tell where we will meet next time. Now is the time for this writer to retire for the night.

Zaijan!

1.I do not recommend or endorse ‘roof climbing’.
2.Okay, it is not the actual planets I see but the reflection of Sun.
3.On a foggy night look at a street lamp. Only a little bit of the light that is emitted is actually used, the rest is wasted.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb