Tiger Wall and Broken Bridge


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Liaoning » Dandong
June 19th 2010
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We travelled again by train(sleeper 18 hrs)down the east of Liaoning Province to the Port town of Dandong. This journey was made more fun by a hiking group we met from Shenyang who we shared Duck and beer, well I did. Dandong has a very smart station with a huge statue of Mao greeting us. The main reason to coming here was to do "The Wall" as we missed this out in Beijing. Tiger Wall or the The Hushan Wall is 20km north of Dandong. There is a huge Korean influence here because of the Freedom bridge which links North Korea and China and is the main export /import link.
The other bridge next door to the Freedom is called the Broken Bridge.It was blown up by the americans and only the Chinese half exists,we walked to the end and looked into DPRK and took photos!
It was the same with Tiger Wall, it ends at a small river which borders DPRK which at one point is only a few meters wide. There are obviously a lot of guard house etc. We met some Koreans from the South on the Wall who said 3 people from North Korea were recently shot trying to cross the Yule River. There is a different feel to Dandong because of the proximity of Korea.
As for the restaurants, very cheap ,good value, great selection of seafood,but, we didn't really have a clue what we were eating. This is a bit scary as they serve turtle,toad,dog,black spiky sea cucumber and green wriggly caterpillars!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tiger WallTiger Wall
Tiger Wall

Called so because of the two hills shaped like Tigers ears.
Shenyang Trekking Group on TrainShenyang Trekking Group on Train
Shenyang Trekking Group on Train

This was Lynns Copartement,I was next door!
Tiger Wall CarparkTiger Wall Carpark
Tiger Wall Carpark

No one there,bliss


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb