Third Month's Budget and Christmas in China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangxi » jiujiang
December 23rd 2009
Published: December 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I'm finishing up the semester. Yes that's right, of the nine month contract, two months are paid vacation! I love Socialism with Chinese Charactaristics!

I had a good discussion in my class about China in 20 Years. I had them discuss good things that could happen, bad things that could happen, how to achieve the good things and how to avoid the bad things. "Increasing Economic Growth"- good thing, "More pollution"- bad thing, "India Will be #1 in Population" -good thing (they say), "Aging Population in China" -bad thing. I made a point to show how the good things and bad things are linked together- economic growth leads to more pollution, slowing of demographic expansion leads to an aging population. I was very impressed by my student's saavy. They seem to be well-informed, reasonable, concerned about their fellow human beings, and optomistic about the future. I wish I could say the same thing for my peers in the West. Of course, its possible my students are simply putting on a show for the foreign monkey, but I doubt it.

Lots of Christmas decorations everywhere. One of my students asked me why Chinese people celebrate Chirstmas (only about 2% of the population is Christian). My response- the Chinese will use any opportunity possible to have a party!

From November 21 through December 21, I spent 2,563.6 RMB. Almost exactly half my monthly wages. Still too much.

I plan to travel to the South in January for some warm weather, which shall lead to an increase in monetary expenses. I can adopt a more Spartan lifestyle when school starts again in two months.

Advertisement



23rd December 2009

warmth
enjoy your sojourn to the south....be with you in spirit. On the last day of the year is the full Cold Moon, which is also a blue moon, being the second in one month. so you can do and say all the things you only do once in a blue moon. Love you Bren.
23rd December 2009

‘the Chinese will use any opportunity possible to have a party’ ????
23rd December 2009

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and happy 2 month vacation!
23rd December 2009

wow
Two months vacation is a wonderful gift--enjoy. grandpal AL sends much love.
26th December 2009

traveling to the south? where are you headed, if you don't mind my asking? i'm in nanchang now, was researching trips to hainan for a break from the cold. :)

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb