#45 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Z-Visa resolution)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
July 30th 2006
Published: July 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

duck headsduck headsduck heads

It was morning, and already half of this tray of duck-heads had vanished. How does one enjoy them on the dinner-table? I've been reluctant to try them. (There was an echo of "quacking" in the air).
The documentation as a legal resident in China has now been resolved, and we have learned, that " red tape" in China is just as complicated and cumbersome as it is in America, especially when it comes to immigration-issues. After several visits to their office, Taizhou's local authorities have been quite helpful in issuing the new resident visa, with some slight penalties. It permits my stay in China until the summer of 2007.

Once again, we will depart for Beijing this coming Monday evening on the overnight train, leaving at 6 p.m. from the new Taizhou train station. We will arrive in the Capitol of China at 7 a.m. Tuesday morning. With Arthur's connections, we were able to secure two tickets, one in the "Soft-Sleeper" compartment, and the other in the "Hard-Sleeper" compartment.

He offered me the more private and more comfortable Soft-Sleeper, and I selfishly accepted. Trains in China are always filled to capacity. Since tickets are available for purchase only days before departure, "long-range" plans for travel are never quite assured. I understand, there is even an underground-economy, that deals with train-tickets.

Amber, one of the hopeful tour-guides for the '08 Summer Olympics, has helped in
Taizhou's concert hallTaizhou's concert hallTaizhou's concert hall

Once the construction is commplete, and the venues are announced, the presentations here will make for a good entertainment.
securing hotel accomodations, not far from Tian'anmen Square, as well as some of Beijing's other unique sights. The advantage of having a personal guide are obvious, and since Amber was very helpful in our last crisis in Beijing, it will be like meeting an old friend. She has already emailed to inquire, how she might make this visit more pleasant.

Some of the sights of course are familiar to most:
Tian'anmen Square and Gate, The Great Wall, and the Forbidden City. Others have some very inviting names:
The Great Bell Temple, The Imperial Garden, The Palace of Heavenly Purity, The Hall of Preserving Harmony, The Hall of Middle Harmony, and The Hall of Supreme Harmony. Additional unique visits could be to:
The Lama Temple, Temple of Confucius, Imperial Vault of Heaven, Museum of the Chinese Revolution, Chairman Mao Memorial Hall, and The Great Hall of the People.

It's a little much for a 6 day visit, but there will be opportunities for a number of future trips. Once a new city makes sense, return visits have always become great adventures. I wouldn't mind becoming a guide during the 2008 Beijing Olympics :-) especially if some friends are coming
Taizhou is boomingTaizhou is boomingTaizhou is booming

To the right of the TV tower, the concert hall of Taizhou will look even more inviting, once the road construction is complete.
to visit??

Let me share some additional thoughts of interest I have researched about Beijing:

Before 1980, only about 40 parks and green spaces were available to people living in the city.
By 2002, that number had increased to 160 parks.
By 2008, in time of the Olympics, another 800 parks and green spaces will have been added, bringing the total to some 960 parks. It is hoped that some of Beijings pollution will deminish because of these and other efforts.

A new law requires ancient parks and gardens to maintain their historic appearance and atmosphere. KFC had to move its restaurant out of the imperial gardens of Beihai Park, and so not violate this new city ordinance.

Between 9-10 million bicycles are in daily use in this city of some 14 million inhabitants. It is gestimated, that 1 in 100 Chinese live in or near the city of Beijing.

The Dongshimen railroad station, one of 5 railway stations in the city of Beijing, can accomodate up to 14,000 individuals, more than any other station in the world.

An unusual law issued by the city of Beijing in 1995 requires that no dog taller
Taizhou's Communications-towerTaizhou's Communications-towerTaizhou's Communications-tower

One of Taizhou's landmarks is its communication and TV tower. It is visible from many parts of the city.
than 14 inches (36cm) can be raised legally in the city. My doggy "Pepper" would have just been permitted.








Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

modern Taizhoumodern Taizhou
modern Taizhou

In the newer parts of the city, the buildings become quite impressive. Streets and Avenues are wide, and car traffic is still very limited.
Taizhou 3Taizhou 3
Taizhou 3

China Telecom manages most of this eye-pleasing piece of architecture in the city of Taizhou.
Taizhou trafficTaizhou traffic
Taizhou traffic

Typical traffic in Taizhou, a city of 5 million. Cars are still a serious luxury outside of the major cities.
Nanjing trafficNanjing traffic
Nanjing traffic

Traffic in the city of Nanjing, with some 11 million inhabitants. It is the capitol of Jiangsu Province. In these large cities, cars begin to cause traffic jams. We know them so well in the West.
Nanjing office towerNanjing office tower
Nanjing office tower

This office tower in Nanjing houses part of the Foreign Affairs Office for the Province. Some of my documentation had to be completed here, and it permitted me to visit this city.
Hoping to cross the street, part 1Hoping to cross the street, part 1
Hoping to cross the street, part 1

On the street below my apartment, I noticed four small wagons over-filled with old lumber. As you can see, they partially obstructed the road-way as they rested from the heat and the peddling.
Hoping to cross the street, part 2Hoping to cross the street, part 2
Hoping to cross the street, part 2

Looking closely, you'll see the owners sitting on the curb-stone, pondering how to cross the street.
Hoping to cross the street, part 3Hoping to cross the street, part 3
Hoping to cross the street, part 3

The yellow dividing line is never an obstacle for on-coming traffic. One of the owners seeks shelter from the heat under her cart, while traffic makes its way in both directions. The red Taxi narrowly misses the small truck pulling its load of telephone poles, as it is trying to pass the larger blue truck in the lane of on-coming traffic.
Hoping to cross the street, part 4Hoping to cross the street, part 4
Hoping to cross the street, part 4

Traffic is squeezed even tighter, as a friend of the four parks his load of lumber-sheets on the opposite side of the street to sit for a chat. The yellow line has lost its meaning altogether. By the way, most trucks in China are blue.
Hoping to cross the street, part 5Hoping to cross the street, part 5
Hoping to cross the street, part 5

Two of the carts have made it accross the street, while the last two are barely avoided by on-coming traffic in both directions.
Hoping to cross the street, part 6Hoping to cross the street, part 6
Hoping to cross the street, part 6

The last cart is having a devil of a time crossing, while on the opposite side of the street, cart three has made it.
Hoping to cross the street, part 7Hoping to cross the street, part 7
Hoping to cross the street, part 7

Cart number four has also made it safely, as it now tries to keep up with the three others ahead of him, already pulling their load to "somewhere"
chicken clawschicken claws
chicken claws

At the local deli, claws of all colors, sizes, and flavors lure the hungry customers.


30th July 2006

miss you schneider!
hey schneider... so glad your problems got straightened out and enjoy your 6 packed days of sightseeing! sehenswurdigkeit <-- coolest german word ever
30th July 2006

Reisewünsche
Lieber Herr Hans Schneider, auch ich bin froh, dass sich Ihre Visaprobleme so rasch haben lösen lassen und wünsche Ihnen unbeschwerte Tage in Beijing. Sie haben ja ein volles Programm, aber mit einem Freund und ortskundiger Leitung werden es bestimmt erfüllte Tage.Genießen Sie die Fahrt mit der Eisenbahn!Wir hier in Winnenden lesen Ihr Tagebuch mit großem Interesse und warten auf jeden neuen Eintrag. Selbst Virginia lernt immer wieder etwas Neues. Ihr Adalbert Vogt, Georg-Büchner-Gymnasium Winnenden
30th July 2006

Viele Gruße aus Deutschland!!!!
Hey Schzneider!! I'm in Geisenheim right now!!! it's soooo awesome, take care and enjoy your new life in China!
30th July 2006

well well...
seeing how "appetizing " their variety of food is... what does your daily diet consist of?
30th July 2006

me again..
hey have you found yourself a nice geisha yet? hehe
31st July 2006

that's great that you got your visa!! Since you mentioned that concert hall, did you know that in September the Ziff Opera House will open? It's right there in downtown (the Omni area) and I'm totally excited!
31st July 2006

Hey Schneider, those chicken claws sure look tasty *cough, cough*. Anyways its funny how you just got your residency over there because i just spent last friday helping my brother in law get his permanent residency. Sounds like you are going to the summer Olympics and that is so COOL! You lucky you...Keep having fun and learning...ciao
1st August 2006

Problems
It is good that your problems were straigtened out
3rd August 2006

yummy
hey schneider!!!! how about trying those chicken feet??? lol they might not be as bad as you think, its just the whole "getting over the fact that your eating chicken feet" thing....i think its amazing how resourceful they are with the food they eat; since especially here in america so much food is wasted. maybe one day you'll get the guts to try those chicken feet...take my advice, they're not as bad as you think ;-) PS: try the darker looking ones hehehehe
4th August 2006

UNCLAIMED MONEY
Hans, thanks for all the wonderful details in regards to your travels after retirement. I was talking at school about your"detention" with some of the secretaries in the main office who were unaware of this site. Donna later told me that you need to get in touch with her because there is a check there for you that they are sure, you are unaware of. Try to send her an email or get back to my email address but there is MONEY FOR YOU, and you do not want it to go back into the system. jacklamb
29th August 2006

Wow, that image of the duck heads breaks my heart. I'm glad you didn't eat it??? :P I'm hoping you're good. :) Ms. Lauter is a fine teacher, but we still miss you.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb