#16 Retiring Teacher preparing to teach in China (More photos of Suzhou)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
March 14th 2006
Published: March 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I have been able to download some additional photos on the Jiangsu Province of China, and perhaps they will add some additional visuals to my last entry on the city and gardens of Suzhou. I hope they are informative and you will enjoy them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

EntranceEntrance
Entrance

Entrance to the home of the artist-scholar and his garden-home compound.
A brick-carverA brick-carver
A brick-carver

The man sitting by the door carves beautiful shapes and figures into dark bricks. It is an ancient craft, and the work can be admired over entrances to homes, as one explores the village streets.
Harmony of the Chinese GardenHarmony of the Chinese Garden
Harmony of the Chinese Garden

Within the gardens, it is a landscape in miniature. Care is taken to balance all elements of plant, stone, and water.
Tea by the waterTea by the water
Tea by the water

Every corner provides the opportunity to envy the former owners. A calm descends on the visitor of the garden and tranquility slows the perception of time. Imagine the old families as hosts, in the traditional gowns of the time, entertaining their guests.
EntranceEntrance
Entrance

Entrance to the home of the artist-scholar and his garden-home compound.
Visit earlyVisit early
Visit early

It is a good idea to visit the gardens early, before the larger touring-groups arrive. Remember, that as a Westener, you will receive almost as much attention as the garden.
Fish waitingFish waiting
Fish waiting

The fish eagerly await the hand-outs from visitors.
old and proudold and proud
old and proud

Great care is given every tree, many of them quite old.
The interiorThe interior
The interior

The inside of the home felt open and inviting, and kept the home cool during the heat of the summer. The surrounding gardens provided the paint-strokes of nature. Note the beautiful calligraphy-scrolls behind the chairs of the master. The person sitting, was our wonderful and save driver.
Which tummy to rub??Which tummy to rub??
Which tummy to rub??

Mr. Arthur Lee from Taizhou College, Ms. Liz Lee from Guilin (no relation to Mr. Lee) suggested, that they should be rubbing my tummy, instead of this beautiful carving of a buddha.
something to grace your living-roomsomething to grace your living-room
something to grace your living-room

The scape is carved from the roots of what must have been huge trees, and are now facing up.
Wood-carvings are for saleWood-carvings are for sale
Wood-carvings are for sale

Mr. Arthur Lee, the Foreign Affairs Director of Taizhou College, has become a very dear friend.
Loving every day Loving every day
Loving every day

The summers are very hot, resting was important, and rarely would you see me without my bottle of orange juice, as in the previous photo.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb