#46 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College-Weddings, Parties & Everything!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
January 31st 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SantasSantasSantas

These young doormen look slightly uncomfortable in their Santa outfits! They were very popular with the children.
After a whirlwind two weeks back in the Land of Oz for a well-earned holiday, I now have time to share with you all my myriad experiences of my first “Silly Season” in the great “Middle Kingdom”. For those of you who thought it might be a little lonely being so far away from home at a time when friends and families traditionally get together to celebrate, never fear! The following photo essay “documents” a mesmerizing range of activities from parties, tree plantings, cultural concerts, weddings and even a birth, all mixed in with final exams! Not a time for the faint-hearted! Read on and enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Corporate Xmas CelebrationCorporate Xmas Celebration
Corporate Xmas Celebration

This was the second of four celebrations I was attending on this first Xmas Eve in China! I had earlier attended an Oral English Competition at Taizhou College of Nanjing Normal University.
Aussie ConnectionAussie Connection
Aussie Connection

A surprise "visit" from our new Aussie friend Rod who was also attending this prestigious event.
VivianVivian
Vivian

Vivian looking "spiffy" with her new haircut. We teased her mercilessly about "sexing" herself up for her impending wedding on January 6!
Xmas ToastXmas Toast
Xmas Toast

Hans, Vivian and our vice principal Mr Xu's family (Mrs Xu, their twin sons and daughter!)raise a toast to Xmas.
Xmas EntertainmentXmas Entertainment
Xmas Entertainment

One of the performers gives a bit of reprieve from the deafening "disco" music. Note the "Santa Hat" chair covers- a fun souvenir of the evening!
Secret SantaSecret Santa
Secret Santa

Following the Corporate event we headed to Jeff's for a Xmas Eve Party and - of course "Secret Santa". Here "Big Dog" demonstrates the wearing of the "balaclavas". Apparently they are great for outdoor adventure sports.
Jeff before....Jeff before....
Jeff before....

The balaclavas/bandanas were a big hit!
....and after........and after....
....and after....

The "terrorist" look?
OliverOliver
Oliver

Our gentle friend Oliver, thoroughly enjoying the goings on.
Santas Helpers!Santas Helpers!
Santas Helpers!

Fourth celebration for the night! Here Rod, myself and Vitaliy ( one of our Ukrainian shipping friends) wow the crowds in Yilong Bar with our "Mary Xmas" outfits!
Vitaliy & Dimetri Having FunVitaliy & Dimetri Having Fun
Vitaliy & Dimetri Having Fun

Vitaliy and Dimetri ensure that Xiao Ling, the resident guitarist at our favourite bar Yilong joins in the Xmas spirit!
Karaoke KingKaraoke King
Karaoke King

Meanwhile Hideyuki entertains the Japanese major students at their Xmas party (photo courtesy of Hans, as I was unable to attend! I think 4 functions in one night is quite enough for me!)
Xmas ChatXmas Chat
Xmas Chat

Xmas Day was a day off for us, and in contrast to the previous evening, was a quiet uneventful day, with the exception of an official tree planting ceremony. Here we are having a casual chat prior to the start.
Xmas PresentationXmas Presentation
Xmas Presentation

Mr Xu, our college president presents me with a Certificate of Appreciation and an original piece of student artwork.
Tree Planting DignitariesTree Planting Dignitaries
Tree Planting Dignitaries

The tree planting was to acknowledge Hans' generous donation to encourage the "greening" of the campus. It will be known as "Friendship Corner"
Digging With GustoDigging With Gusto
Digging With Gusto

Here I'm doing the "hard yakka" of filling the hole with great clods of dirt. None of this token sprinkling of a bit of soil!
Encouragement.....Encouragement.....
Encouragement.....

Here Hans and Mr Xu also put in some elbow grease. The cameras kept rolling, and rolling, and rollin......


26th March 2007

wahh! Long time no connect you. How is everything go with you?

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb