#85 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Introducing my 2nd year at TTC.)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
September 21st 2007
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Campus of Taizhou Teachers College is once again busy with the hustle and bustle of academia and college life. Our upper-classmen have returned, each one year closer to their goal as future English-teachers in China, hoping to make the most of their remaining years, and salvage a satisfying career. (In China, teaching is not considered the most prestigious job by students or even society, an... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

In search of....In search of....
In search of....

Two of my wonderful English students traverse the campus to check out the new arrivals. Who will be the new boys?
Another smiling face is eager to help.Another smiling face is eager to help.
Another smiling face is eager to help.

A friendly welcome goes a long way for anxious new students.
"No orange shirt for me." (He is pretending to be a Junior!)"No orange shirt for me." (He is pretending to be a Junior!)
"No orange shirt for me." (He is pretending to be a Junior!)

Tony is on his way to observe what the new year has brought to TTC campus. Chinese college student are also beginning their search for a possible new conquest.
Taking it easy in the shade.Taking it easy in the shade.
Taking it easy in the shade.

Another of our security guards takes in the parade of new arrivals.
Under the umbrella of the TTC Student Council.Under the umbrella of the TTC Student Council.
Under the umbrella of the TTC Student Council.

Members of the Student Council are supervising a smooth registration day.
My students from the English Dept. My students from the English Dept.
My students from the English Dept.

The English Department student reps. are ready to guide newly entering English majors to the various registration stations.
Outside the gates of TTCOutside the gates of TTC
Outside the gates of TTC

Outside the gates of the college, a vendor hopes to sell a few inflated plastic toys.
Campus Police StationCampus Police Station
Campus Police Station

As on any college campus, TTC also sports its Police station at its gates.
More private cars on campus every year.More private cars on campus every year.
More private cars on campus every year.

The dream of a Chinese family is to have a car, and every year more of them park on the sports field, and bring the students to the campus.
Lunch-time on registration dayLunch-time on registration day
Lunch-time on registration day

The help is taking a well-deserved lunch break under the shade.
The school provides the lunch.The school provides the lunch.
The school provides the lunch.

Taking a closer look at the lunch, provided by the college to the students for their help, makes my mouth water.
The Student Government Chairman and his trusted aide.The Student Government Chairman and his trusted aide.
The Student Government Chairman and his trusted aide.

Both seemed pleased with the progress of the registration of the new students. Chinese will always relish the moment to pose for a photo.
Students come from near and far.Students come from near and far.
Students come from near and far.

On this day, busses are permitted on campus as they deposit students and parents after long journeys from distant villages.
Oma is an important part of the family unit.Oma is an important part of the family unit.
Oma is an important part of the family unit.

Grandma makes sure the content of the duffel bag is secure. She might even sneak a few extra Yuan into its content, as she realizes that the good-bye is only hours away.
My former student Ryan had a busy day.My former student Ryan had a busy day.
My former student Ryan had a busy day.

Ryan in the red shirt with official tag poses with the father of a student entrusted in his care. The shopping-cart was one of this year's novel ideas to transport belongings to the dorms.
English Department Registration.English Department Registration.
English Department Registration.

Registration in this classroom of TTC was well organized by the English Dept under the leadership of Ms. Fan. The process was short and sweet.
Though the wait was more demanding, there was little cutting into lines.Though the wait was more demanding, there was little cutting into lines.
Though the wait was more demanding, there was little cutting into lines.

The lines and wait and some frustration were more acute in some of the other Academic Departments of the college.
Once bikes came only in one color, black.  The selection has improved.Once bikes came only in one color, black.  The selection has improved.
Once bikes came only in one color, black. The selection has improved.

Bicycle vendors were ready to perform magic with their negotiating skills, to lure the Yuan from the pockets of ever more affluent parents. Their smiles indicated a very successful day.
Parents told me, they paid on average 200 Yuan. (around US$ 30.00)Parents told me, they paid on average 200 Yuan. (around US$ 30.00)
Parents told me, they paid on average 200 Yuan. (around US$ 30.00)

At the end of the day, few bikes were left. I now see them peddled by their proud youthful owners all over the campus. Within the city of Taizhou, which is overgrown with schools, bicycles rule the road, now in all colors.
The vendors wanted to sell one to me for 350 Yuan. (US$ 50.00)The vendors wanted to sell one to me for 350 Yuan. (US$ 50.00)
The vendors wanted to sell one to me for 350 Yuan. (US$ 50.00)

Mommy shades daddy from the sun, as he adjusts the seat for his daughter's new bike. The bicycles will bring additional freedoms to our students. They will be better equipped to "explore" the spawling city of Taizhou.
The Techies of TTCThe Techies of TTC
The Techies of TTC

The Technology Department waits for the new arrivals, who are too busy purchasing a bike.



24th September 2007

Back for a second year! It must have been a good first year.
Hi Hans, I get to read your blogs off and on. I taught for only one year in Nanjing. I'm back in Atlanta now giving talks about China and beginning a true retirement. Have a great year!
26th September 2007

hey! :)
hey schneider, i just wanted to say hello and tell you that i never forget about you. i have a picture of you on my wall in my new college dorm room... i cant even believe i am here already. congratulations, i also cant believe you are beginning your second year of teaching in china. i miss and love you... i hope we can somehow see each other in the near future :)

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb