Saturday Afternoon Stroll


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hunan » Shaoyang
March 12th 2011
Published: March 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

So it finally stopped raining, it seems like it's been non-stop, so we decided to go out for a walk. There is spring in the air but it's just not quite breaking through. Perhaps another week and we'll start to get some warm weather.

Life here in Shaoyang plods on. We seem to be having more contact with the people here than in Zhengzhou and we've seen things here that we'd not seen before, funerals for example. I don't recall seeing one in Zhengzhou but here we've come across two or three in the space of a few weeks.

Work is going well and the students all seem very keen and studious.

If there is one thing here that has been an eye-opener and that is the food. The food in Zhengzhou was rather bland compared to here. We have been eating out of the campus canteen and I must say the food has been very tasty and spicy. In fact we treated ourselves before lent, Daniela cooked pasta and pesto, but we both thought it was strange not to be eating food with that spicy kick!

We had to laugh again today as we walked past the "golden arches" all the street food sellers congregate right outside to try and lure customers away from eating those dreadful burgers.

You can get a good idea of the differences between the rich and poor here by walking down the hutongs and then walking down the main shopping streets.

Anyway we hope you enjoy the photos and may Jah bless.


Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb