Holidays


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hubei » Wuhan
December 13th 2009
Published: December 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Boys climbing ropes Boys climbing ropes Boys climbing ropes

Live show, after live show, after live show...
Well it's been awhile 😊 Thanksgiving, Halloween, remembrance day have all slid on by. My time here in Wuhan is flying by faster than when I was in Dalian. - Many of the seasoned teachers warned me about the long haul from October break to the big 5 week in Jan, but I can't believe that we're only a month away from our big holiday. TIME IS FLYING!


Christmas is right around the corner, and this was a cause of slight concern back when I was in Canada. Questions of ' What was my first Christmas away from home going to be like? What would it be like without my family and friends - who was going to make Ginger Beer and punch de creme, and would Parang sound the same here in China as it did back home???? Holiday horror stories seem to flood the overseas ex-pat storyline.
Christmas for me is a mixture of holy and playful. From the jovial tradition of our tree going up on the first of December, to the spiritual solace of lighting of the advent wreath. -- A hint of fear gripped me at the thoughts of celebrating Christmas here away from
Men climbing treesMen climbing treesMen climbing trees

stringing up the Christmas lights
the lovely traditions and even lovlier family.
But as my brother loves to say ' LIFE HAPPENS, no matter where you are or who you're with. Life Happens because you're you.'
And so --- it has... The people here have created a sense of family like no other. Christmas eve is lined up with a cozy evening of Christmas Carols and Hot Chocolate, Christmas day, an elaborate dinner catering to 56 people-- turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and broccoli casseroles -- rumballs (can't forget the rumballs!!!!!!) followed by a super fun secret santa.
Preparation to get everyone into the Christmas spirit has included a day of baking delicious cookies, everything from hay bales, hershey kisses peanut butter thumbprints, oatmeal chocolate chip, to turtles made with real CARAMEL! --- All peppered with true holiday affections.
On a more personal note the unique traditions we keep as individuals are present --- I'm finding that Parang does sound the same here as it does back home, that i'm looking forward to grating a pound of ginger to make ginger beer and that the jerk pork will be present and accounted for at the evening Christmas meal.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

x-mas treex-mas tree
x-mas tree

There are many of these types of trees kickin about at the plazas
manmade lakemanmade lake
manmade lake

live show!


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb