Traveling to Luoyang China 洛阳


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Henan » Luoyang
March 13th 2012
Published: March 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Beijing AirportBeijing AirportBeijing Airport

Customs. No lines!
Off to Luoyang with my friend Julie to visit her son, his wife and their new grandbaby. The flight (Boeing 777) was 14 hours to Beijing, a 4 hour layover and then a China East flight (Airbus 321) into Luoyang. Aside from being seated next to Harry Halitosis, the trip from Dulles Airport to Beijing went off without a problem. Beijing airport is huge, as you would expect with lots of show-off technology and eye candy. Everything was neat, clean and best of all had western facilities. Hazy and chilly, the most notable detail to me was the smell of Beijing once we got out of the international terminal. I am instantly thrown back into my childhood being raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where coal was king and all the Renaissance-ing hadn't quite completed.

Checking in for our China East flight, not so easy. Everyone was very kind and polite. A man who was an employee of Beijing Airport approached us once we got into the correct terminal and helped us through several processes. Leery at first, this man was genuine in his offers to help without request money or even a tip. After helping us take care of several items
Dulles AirportDulles AirportDulles Airport

Departure!
(where's the money machine?), he then brought us to the ticket counter where we would But my ticket was not 'Open'. We were told this several times. I decided to try the kiosk instead. It told us we were too early to check in. We went to grab a bit to eat at an airport restaurant (pretty good for airport food) and came back. Being within two hours of departure, the airline representative told us once again that my ticket was not 'Open'. Julie called her son so his wife could speak with the local travel agent where the tickets where purchased. I decided to try one of the kiosks again while waiting. Got my boarding pass with no problem. Lesson learned. Just took my boarding pass back to the representative and asked her to check my luggage and get our seats together.

Luoyang airport was small, not so clean but super easy to navigate. Definitely felt like I was in Wichita, Kansas airport. The ride to the apartment was my first real taste of what this place is like. Mixed buildings of old and new and varying degrees of maintenance. Fun LED signage and decorations.

After a
Beijing AirportBeijing AirportBeijing Airport

Easy to read signs everywhere.
good night's sleep, we are preparing for venturing out on our first day of Luoyang. Priority number 1, visit the new baby.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Beijing AirportBeijing Airport
Beijing Airport

Me and my luggage cart. No rental fees. Carts where available everywhere.
Beijing AirportBeijing Airport
Beijing Airport

Julie and her luggage cart.
Beijing AirportBeijing Airport
Beijing Airport

Moving walkway at an incline. Great idea.
Beijing AirportBeijing Airport
Beijing Airport

Airport food. No bad!
LuoyangLuoyang
Luoyang

View at around 8:00AM from our apartment.
LuoyangLuoyang
Luoyang

View at around 8:00AM from our apartment.


14th March 2012
Luoyang

sunset?
I think this photo had to be at sunset...am I right?
16th March 2012
Luoyang

Sunset?
Close! It was sunrise. Each day the forecast says Party Cloudy. That's not clouds folks!!!
15th March 2012

China updates
Thats a good read Bette ~ keep the updates coming!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb