Haidian Peninsula Free Market


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hainan » Haikou
March 20th 2008
Published: March 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Shop of bagsShop of bagsShop of bags

Obviously, this shop can not hold all it has. The shop is expanded to the roads. Come to China, if you can not find the bag you want in your country.
I never thought my first entry would get myself so addicted to this travel blog (never thought I would like the idea of writing and putting pictures together). But I can not afford non-stop travelling for 3 months or 6 months, like many of other bloggers do. I am good at finding excuses for myself. So I decided to say " to travel is more to perceive than to make destinations. Travel gives us time to think, refresh, rethink...give us insights to places which we have never been and to people who we have never known...finally we retrospect, make connections between them and ourselves. Sometimes, at where you are, you can even find the places or people like what you would come across in travelling. No cost for airticket, no cost for hotel rooms, no cost for tour guide, I just want to record them, because I know I will miss it...

Free Market in Haidian Peninsula in Haikou city is well-known for its lack of order and cleanness. I went there out of curiosity. Occasionally I had to tiptoe through the allies on the muddy water. The vendors were advertising their good products or competitive prices by yelling, waving,
Floor of SlippersFloor of SlippersFloor of Slippers

There are slippers for eveyone!
putting a big bill board. If they could use all three means, they wouldn’t just rely on one or two. The shoppers were eyeing back and forth, bargaining, picking up the best in the piles. The grandparents were holding the grandchildren’s hands to make sure they didn’t run to the toy shops. The husbands were following the wives with great loyalty, with bags carried in both hands.

With China catching up with the developed countries, we are proud to show the whole world that we have KFC, MacDonald’s, Starbucks, Wal-Mart, Pizza Hut and many Chinese versions of each of them. The city-dwellers go to grocery stores to buy the vegetables and meat packed tidily in bags or boxes. A market like this only serves the lower class, who can not afford the luxurious shopping.

There will be one day when we miss the free markets, miss the bamboo-plaited basket we put all the goodies in, miss the control in our hands to decide which vendor has the best, miss the moment of success when we won the bargaining, even miss the tiptoeing on the muddy water…no need to say the freshness of the veges.

I know it
Mountain of mopsMountain of mopsMountain of mops

Colorful mops should add a joy to your housework.
seems hypocritical to show my attachment to a free market while I myself do most of my shopping in a modern grocery store. No one can stop the wheel of history. Everyone craves the better life. But let us look at the "darker" side of China in eyes of appreciation rather than criticism.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Lady of grainsLady of grains
Lady of grains

I don't own a shop. But "this land is made for you and me..."
Toys and hair pinsToys and hair pins
Toys and hair pins

Fishing toys and hair pins should interest the mothers and children at the same time.
Laudary ShopLaudary Shop
Laudary Shop

3 Yuan ($0.4) for jeans, and 4 Yuan ($0.6) for a women's blowse. You will get your laundary nicely folded the next day.
Plastic BasinsPlastic Basins
Plastic Basins

In China, basins are widely used to wash face, wash feet, wash vegetabls, or bath a baby. For the sake sanitary, one family have many basins in different colors, sizes and shapes.
Plastic StoolsPlastic Stools
Plastic Stools

It is not uncommon that three generations live in one apartment. Stools which can be piled up are very useful in occasions when guests are invited.
Green vegesGreen veges
Green veges

The veges were just picked up from the field in the morniing. It may make a delicious and healthy dish at your lunch table.
FruitsFruits
Fruits

Hainan Island exports many of its local fruits to other parts of China as well as other countries in Asia. The luxury for others are household here. Dragon fruits, longans, mangos and papaya are at the top.
Small watermelons on saleSmall watermelons on sale
Small watermelons on sale

Watermelons are available all year around in Hainan. That's why in the middle of winter, they are on sale. 2 yuan ($0.30) for one.
Pineapples ready to eatPineapples ready to eat
Pineapples ready to eat

Want a pineapple, but don't want to peel it by yourself? Pick one up and have it done right there.
Pickled fruitsPickled fruits
Pickled fruits

An island of fruits have developed ways to appreciate the fruits more. Jars of pickled fruits are said to be better in taste too.
Fermented glutinous RiceFermented glutinous Rice
Fermented glutinous Rice

The most delicious in the world. One pound can last several times for a family of 3-4. Put several spoons into boiled water and porch an egg in it. 5 minutes later, the midnight snack is ready.YUMMY!!!
Whose eggs? Whose eggs?
Whose eggs?

Don't have an egg for the fermented glutinous rice. Here you are. There are chickens', ducks', geese's, pigeons' and quills'.
We would pay anything for porkWe would pay anything for pork
We would pay anything for pork

Pork's price has gone up twice , but it is still the most popular meat in China. Which part do you want? Just point it out.
Tofu or bean curdTofu or bean curd
Tofu or bean curd

A representative China dish, tofu, has more knowledge in it. This lady has various kinds of tofu for hot dish, cold dish, soup, stew and hot pot.
How tofu was transported?How tofu was transported?
How tofu was transported?

The tofu shop is owned by a couple. The wife is selling, while the husband is in charge of supplying the product.
Grain WinesGrain Wines
Grain Wines

Sorghum Wine: 38% alcohol, 4 yuan ($0.50)/0.5L Rice Wine: 35% alcohol, 3 yuan ($0.40)/0.5L
Seeds as snacksSeeds as snacks
Seeds as snacks

Seeds are always popular as accompanists for TV soaps. Sunflowers seeds, pumpkin seeds and watermelon seeds remain in their shells to let the eaters enjoy cracking.
Tricycles take you homeTricycles take you home
Tricycles take you home

Got everything you want and need? Hail a tricycle to go home. It costs 3-5 yuan, depending on how far your home is.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb