Sanya-The End of Earth


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hainan » Sanya
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The famous RockThe famous RockThe famous Rock

Finally, we got the turn to take a picture with this famous rock with words "The End of Earth".
During the Spring Festival, many Chinese were scared of travelling because of the disastrous snowstorms in the south. My family hesitated and just decided to go, an easy way to settle down the endless discussion. Although many places were not as warm as we expected, we had a great time together. I hope to start my travel blog with Hainan Island-Asian Hawaii, to share with you all the joys and insights I have gained through travelling. Hainan is a tropical island just off the southern coast of the China mainland and across the Gulf of Tonkin from Vietnam. It has a totally unique culture and history.

We arrived in Sanya, the "end of the earth", on Feb 14th, a romantic day to start with. Warm breeze touched our faces, arms, shoulders, and ankles. Comeing from the north, we were too excited to wait until the next day to feel the sea, we went to the sea that night, made sand sculptures of "I Love U" for Valentines' Day. Da Dong Bay is a wonderful place to stay. We found a family hotel, at 90 CNY (about 12 USD) per room per night. The hosts are a nice family from northeast of China.

Feb 15th, we decided to go to the The End of Earth Resort. Who don't want to see the end of the earth? The beach is beautiful there, with white and fine sands. Far away, the sea is groaning with waves; close to us, the sea is like a gentle lady, winding between the huge rocks. When we got the rock with the word "The End of Sea" engraved, there was already a long list of people waiting to be photographed with this famous rock. Finally, we got our turn.

Feb 16th, a one-hour bus ride brought us to Ya Long Bay, the first bay of the world. The beach, the palm trees, the big sunshades, the bikini beauties, the running children... are all what make this place "the first bay of the world". We enjoyed playing with the sea, but later found out we got sun burn. So when you come to Sanya, never forget to wear sun block cream.

Feb 17th. after two days of being at the seashore, we picked Nanshan Cultrual Park for today's agenda. Nanshan Park hosts a 108-meter guanyin (a buddha), which was just contructed a few years ago.
Wu Zhi Zhou IslandWu Zhi Zhou IslandWu Zhi Zhou Island

Wu Zhi Zhou Island has the bluest water and softest beach in Sanya.
According the tour guide, guangyin is facing three directions. One side has a buddhism inscription in her hand, which stands for wisdom. Another side holds a lotus flower, meaning the tranquility. The third side takes a buddhism necklace, which shed the mercy on the whole world. Nanshan is often quoted in a famous saying "May longevity be like Nanshan, and good luck be like Dong Hai" (Shou Bi Nan Shan, Fu Ru Dong Hai).

Feb, 18th, we got on the ferry boat to the Wu Zhi Zhou Island, the place of my dream for a long time. Just like what the internet says, this island has the clearest and bluest water. The pearl shells and coral pieces on the beach only add more surprises to our trip. We have determined to return.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Fresh Coconuts on the streetFresh Coconuts on the street
Fresh Coconuts on the street

Coconuts are sold everywhere on the street. For 3-5 Yuan, you can enjoy a fresh coconut juice right there.
Delicious ChickenDelicious Chicken
Delicious Chicken

Delicious chicken are very popular among the Haikou people. Just looking at the picture will make your mouth watering.
Beggars' ChickenBeggars' Chicken
Beggars' Chicken

Beggar's Chicken refers to a way of cooking, which is to wrap the chicken with a big tree leave and coat it with wet mud. After that, put the whole thing under a wood fire. It becomes the food of the heaven. This picture only presents you a modern verson of Beggar's Chicken.
Haikou-urban or ruralHaikou-urban or rural
Haikou-urban or rural

Hainan became a province in China in 1988, so it is still trying to catch up with the rest of this big country. With all the new skycrapers growing, it is not hard to find the grassroot.
Chinese HambergersChinese Hambergers
Chinese Hambergers

Chinese hambergers are famous in the north. I didn't know it had a market in the southest too.
Latern Festival is comingLatern Festival is coming
Latern Festival is coming

Latern Festial falls on Feb 21 in 2008. Who would doubt this shop would light up the whole city?
Unique Gabbage CanUnique Gabbage Can
Unique Gabbage Can

At Wu Zhi Zhao Island, they use this unique gabbage can.
Poles with shellsPoles with shells
Poles with shells

Only in Sanya, they could afford to make poles of handrail with pretty shells.
Dragon of bushesDragon of bushes
Dragon of bushes

Not only making art with shells, they also know how to have the bushes stylish.
More shellsMore shells
More shells

Whenever you wonder if there is God, you look at the beauty of nature and you know no human beings can make these.
Nanshan GuanyinNanshan Guanyin
Nanshan Guanyin

Guanyin is the God of Mercy, to whom people pray for a healthy baby.
Tree of PrayersTree of Prayers
Tree of Prayers

This tree holds the prayers of people from around the country. With the red ribbons, they each tell the Guanyin what they wish for.
Incense BurningIncense Burning
Incense Burning

People also burn incense to worship the God in China. Nowadays, people want to get as big incense as possible to show their loyalty.
Sunset Sunset
Sunset

Always being a late bird, I could not catch the sunrise. So I become to love the sunset even more.
The sun is settingThe sun is setting
The sun is setting

The tour is ending and the sun is setting. Tomorrow, we will take off and start our journey of life. Hope to be able to travel again soon.
Fun! Fun! Fun!Fun! Fun! Fun!
Fun! Fun! Fun!

I had so much fun. If only I could stay in travelling, like me staying in the air...


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb