China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Yangshuo
May 29th 2012
Published: May 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Cycling along the Li RiverCycling along the Li RiverCycling along the Li River

A cemetary in a higher spot that isn't being used for cultivation
Well our time of travelling is nearly over. We spent the last day at Yangshuo cycling down by the Li River and in the afternoon, as we waited to board our train, we chilled out and visited the markets near our hotel.

The train left at 9.15 at night and we were on the hard sleeper class - that is to say, we were 6 in each compartment separated by solid sides and open at the front. The hard and soft refers to the number of bunks (6 or 4 resp) and not to whether the beds are anything but rock solid!! If it weren't for my trusty feather pillow that I took with me, I would have suffered dearly! And I must admit that ALL beds in China are like rocks!! The toilets on baord are squats, cleaned every now and again and each carriage holds about 80 people. We were regularly visited by the train seller who was touting food and drink but we mostly brought our own food - fruit, snacks and the usual noodles.

The journey finished at Szenzen at 11 am the following day and we had to walk a bit to get to immigration and catch the train to Hong Kong ( about 50 mins). We were soon at the hotel - West and we were on the 22nd floor overlooking HK harbour - not a particularly attractive sight but I have seen worse.

We met up with Krys and Geoff from Sydney and spent some time that evening and the next day with them before catching our flight home, arriving at 6 am SUnday Perth time. Of course, our last day in Honkers was pouring with rain - and I think that we were reasonably happy with that considering we had only one other day of some rain in our whole trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Lisa's Mountain LodgeLisa's Mountain Lodge
Lisa's Mountain Lodge

Where we stayed for 3 days
Local ButcherLocal Butcher
Local Butcher

A quiet time so she had lunch...
Water colour timeWater colour time
Water colour time

We had a little light entertainment on the last afternoon by being tutored in the fine art techniques of watercolour
Hong Kong HarbourHong Kong Harbour
Hong Kong Harbour

From our window
Bus viewBus view
Bus view

We caught the AIrport Express and caught this pic


29th May 2012

Home sweet home
Hello you two, Bet you are glad to be home, no matter how fabulous holidays are, it is always wonderful to get home. Thanks for all the Travel-blogs I really enjoyed them, lovely pictures as well. Lots of love,
1st June 2012

home
Yes - there is nothing quite like being at home - and we were not feeling the best - I had a bad cold coming home and Roman caught it within a day or two and is now on the couch asleep and quite sickly. China was interesting and fascinating, but neither of us want to return - too many places in the world yet to visit and too many places I would prefer to go back to.

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb