Nanning, Guangxi Province. 100km to Nam


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Nanning
July 5th 2008
Published: July 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The Ladies of Nanning 4 secs
2: Train to Pingxiang 10 secs
Up highUp highUp high

Top bunks are the cheapest
27 hours to Nanning... the closest big city to Friendship Pass (the border crossing to Vietnam).

After shopping for food for our long journey, we hopped on board the semi-modern train in a hard sleeper car. Hard sleeper cars have about 20 rows of triple-decker bunk beds. We had to top bunks next to each other. The bottom bunk functions as a bench during the day. The squatter toilets empty out onto the tracks.

During our ride we hung out with locals - particularly, the four sleeping beneath us. One guy owned a childrens pet zoo in Shanghai (he claimed to have over 300 dogs), a lady we called Susan from Wenzhou, and two girls from Nanning who had traveled to the outskirts of Shanghai for a job training course in selling furniture. It was a good oppurtunity to socialize and converse with the locals. We played card games and ate TONS of guazi - sunflower seed boiled in tea, and oodles of noodles.

The view from our window was spectacular at times, especialy passing through Guilin (if you haven't heard of Guilin, look it up on google now). Beautiful countryside with small, rocky mountains jutting straight up out of the ground.

Once in Nanning, we went for walks, making a nice layover before going to Vietnam. We saw some local women dancing and walked along the river. Otherwise, the city was pretty uneventful. That night, Marc got food poisoning - or China Gut - from some pig fatty, and we stayed in for the day.

In case you think you may have China Gut, use the following as a diagnosis:
1st: Stomach grumbling
2nd: Gas (both ends, sometimes simultaniously)
3rd: Naussea and fatigue and loose stool
4th: Bloating and cramps, appearing to be in your second trimester
5th: Consumption of massive amounts of Immodium AD (extra strength)
6th: After symptoms subside (12-24 hours), constipation from all the Immodium.

After China gut, we woke up 20 hours later and boarding the cattle car to the bordertown (Pingxiang). Four to a bench with ineffective fans (about 90 degrees outside). Luckily the ride was only 2.5 hours. Random local kids and their grandmother kept us entertained. The province, Guangxi, is 75% ethnic minorities, so most of the people we encountered at this point were not Chinese. About 50% of the population is Zhuang, while the rest consisted of probably 20+ other ethnicities.

When we got off the train we hoped on a tricycle-motorcycle with a bench in the back and drove the remaining 15km to the border. About .5km from Friendship Pass we were dropped off and had to walk to Vietnam.

The Chinese army were "training" and shooting rifles into the nearby mountains (by nearby we mean that we were at the base of the mountain). The bullets seemed to say, "beware of trespassing".

We were stamped out and walked into an outdoor walkway to Nam, noticing a giant brown stickbug at our feet...


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

1.. 2.. 3.. Eggplant1.. 2.. 3.. Eggplant
1.. 2.. 3.. Eggplant

Eggplant (Qiezi) is like saying cheese... qiezi/cheese
Our friendsOur friends
Our friends

We gave them our Airberlin face masks and wrote our names (English, Chinese, and Vietnamese) on them
Along the wayAlong the way
Along the way

on the way to Pingxiang
Angus beefAngus beef
Angus beef

in the cattle car
Our long trainOur long train
Our long train

We were in car 1, but they added 5 cars between cars 1 and 2, making the train go from about 15 to 20 cars.
More mountainMore mountain
More mountain

now with house
Our rideOur ride
Our ride

on the tricycle to the border
Friendship Pass (China side)Friendship Pass (China side)
Friendship Pass (China side)

Entering the motherland
Friendship PassFriendship Pass
Friendship Pass

Duck! Shots fired.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb